Watering cups

Brittany34993

In the Brooder
May 15, 2021
Mansfield Texas
My girls still haven’t figured out the watering cups. I have guided their heads and pushed down on the flappers. When I go back the cups are empty and they run to the cup after I refill it for them. I don’t want them to go without water. Should I stop filling it for them so they can figure it out? They’re about 5weeks old.

Chicken!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 9
I'm sorry, I've never had a problem with that type of cup.
Are you sure your system isn't creating a vacuum? There has to be a way for air to enter the system from above.

Maybe just observe them drinking and you could find out what's wrong with the water system. They might not be big enough to hit the lever. You should give them more time.

If they just havent figured it out I've had some success mixing some peanut butter and scratch or cracked corn together. Put little dabs of it on the float and in the cup below the float. You may have to put some on the pipe too so it gets them looking around for more goodies and find it in the cups. That will get them sticking their beaks in there themselves and finding water.

I have a cap on the top. The water will come out when the flapper is hit. They just haven’t figured out that’s how to get more water in the cup. If that makes sense.

If they just havent figured it out I've had some success mixing some peanut butter and scratch or cracked corn together. Put little dabs of it on the float and in the cup below the float. You may have to put some on the pipe too so it gets them looking around for more goodies and find it in the cups. That will get them sticking their beaks in there themselves and finding water.
That’s a good idea. I will try that.

Back
Top Bottom