Watering in winter

fe0208

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2018
I live about an hour outside of Philadelphia and we just got ducks this spring. I thought I had planned for everything but never even thought about the hose freezing in the winter time. Looks like they sell heated hoses but that makes me kind of nervous. I can fill the buckets in my kitchen sink if I have to for the time being. We were hoping to go away for a few days and have a neighbor who has watched them for us before but without a hose I don't know how he could give them water. I can't expect him to haul buckets into his house then all the way back. I was thinking of getting a really short hose and unhooking it and draining it after each use. Would that work?

fe0208

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2018
If I shut off the water at the spigot each day when I am done what are the chances I am going to cause some flooding issues in my house? Everything I have read says you need to shut water off to the outside spigot for the winter. Maybe a cover would help that?

cheezenkwackers

Crowing
Aug 28, 2016
Memphis, TN
I think a cover would help. We do not get as cold as you do, but I use a thick, black hose. Even on days we do not get above freezing the ice inside the hose melts by afternoon from the sunshine.

fe0208

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2018
Thanks everybody! I don't mind hauling the water out myself just need a solution for the neighbor to help.

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
My outside faucet will freeze that is why we put on the frost free I don’t believe there is much to doing that. I do love those collaspable hoses so much better than hauling water especially when you have neck issues.

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
I need to clarify this. In the past I just rolled up the hose and shut off the the water, by shut off I mean turn the knob not completely shut the water. Of course I've never needed to use the water. I was under the impression that when it gets cold that will freeze so it's useless anyways, no?

I do not have a lot of knowledge with this stuff at all. Another learning adventure.

If I could figure out a way to run a hose without causing major issues by turning it on and off I would. I got a smaller heated bucket for dunking, that I can carry in and out--will still be a pain.

Top Bottom