Watering nipples

lee miller1

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2016
I have a watering bucket with the horizontal nipple drinkers. I was wondering if they freeze in the winter? I was planning on heating the water with a bucket heater but I am worried that the chickens will drink and leave some water on the outside of the nipples. Will this water freeze and prevent the chickens from getting more water?

It all depends on the temperature. Vertical nipples freeze but with heated water the horizontal don't usually because the seal is internal to the bucket. All bets are off if the temperature is extreme as one drop freezes then another and another.

Can the chickens peck off the icicles? I need to do the same as the OP; somehow keep their water from freezing overnight. It rarely stays cold enough for their water to freeze during the day, but it can be cold enough for nighttime ice to remain frozen..

Yeah the temperature regularly is below -10 during the day in January and can get in the -20 during the night. I think they could peck off the icicles but I am more worried about the actual mechanism freezing and the chicken won't be able to peck at that.

Back
Top Bottom