Watering with a float

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Who922, May 31, 2011.

1. Who922

Who922 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Roswell, NM
    The last people that owned our house and raised chickens (not the last owners) were using one of the little waterers that operate of a float. It looks like it is about the size a dog or cat would use. it is about 8 inches wide and about 6 inches deep. Is that acceptible to use as a waterer for my 25 chickens or do I need to get something that hangs like my feeder?

2. Laigaie

Laigaie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Fayetteville, AR
    I'm not entirely certain how your waterer is working, what you mean by "float". The one we use for our dogs has a large plastic water container that you screw onto the base, then flip the thing upside down, and the water goes out into the basin at the bottom.

The only problem with non-hanging feeders and waterers is that the chickens will step in it, scratch it out, and generally make a mess of it. If you don't mind, and you'd rather use what you have than replace it, it certainly won't kill them. It'll just need to be cleaned out and refilled more often, and may make a mess around where it sits.

3. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I have seen many how to posts about waters using floats. Can you show us a picture?

4. Who922

Mar 15, 2011
    Roswell, NM
  5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use auto waterers fo my birds I have over 100 birds. I love the auto waterers.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Who922

Mar 15, 2011
    Roswell, NM
    Now I'm a little sad. I just threw away one of those red waterers. I didn't know what it was. The red part was cracked, but I could have saved the water part. So they don't mess up the water really badly with those types of waterers?

7. gregnlinda

gregnlinda Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Interesting! I might have to check into that type of watering system. It may be a good secondary watering source. Thanks for the photos, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by