Watering

those nipples are a great idea!
You can get them right here on BYC in the Buy Sell and Trade. They have several advantages over other type. They are spring loaded with a rubber O ring. That means no leaks. They can mount flush to the wall so the birds can't perch on the pipe. No more poop on the pipe.

Last edited:
The biggest difference I can see is this one hooks direct to a garden hose. The pail you see is the whole thing. This small set up will handle 125 chicks or 50 grown birds. When I medicate I just add it to the bucket and they all get it.
Yea Rich, I could hook my small bucket with the float directly to a garden hose but I get paranoid about springing a small leak somewhere and running my water bill sky high. I will soon have close to 50 grown birds drinking off the same small bucket in three separate breeding pens built in my barn. I can do the same thing with medications and just add to the small bucket and everybody gets some.

Another reason I didn't go straight to the garden hose was because as I said earlier I eventually want to start collecting rain water, storing that and use it to water the birds. As it is now I haven't had to fill my 55 gal drum except for once, the initial time, since I installed it back in March. With all the rain we're having now I haven't had to add anything to the rain barrel I have down the hill on my old laying hen coop all year. I just looked at it a little while ago and think with the current forecast I think I'll drain it and let nature refill it in the next couple days with fresh stuff.

I don't worry about leaks on mine I have it plumbed in. A hose could spring a leak but not likely with hard plumbing. I commend you on being so eco friendly. As far as the rain we have been having my girls are wearing water wings!!! LOL

Hi, this looks like a nice watering system, but I wonder what you will replace the parts with if they are being discontinued by all the big box stores? Or, do you think they will last for many, many years? I ask because we are in the planning stages of a new coop/tractor, along with new watering and feeding systems. If we buy a system, we wouldn't want to find that replacement parts are not to be found.

Hi, this looks like a nice watering system, but I wonder what you will replace the parts with if they are being discontinued by all the big box stores? Or, do you think they will last for many, many years? I ask because we are in the planning stages of a new coop/tractor, along with new watering and feeding systems. If we buy a system, we wouldn't want to find that replacement parts are not to be found.
If your talking about my system with the black poly pipe and push in fittings they are only being discontinued in stores where the sales are really low. They aren't going away for good. Around here where I live (Atlanta Metro Area) Home Depot has discontinued them because they don't meet building codes for new construction but Lowe's has no plans to take it out because many people still use it for all kinds of projects that don't have to meet new building codes. If you can't find them at your local store you can find them on the web and RainBird sprinkler fittings work the same way and many of them can be substituted.

If your concerned about not being able to get them then build your system with PVC from the get go, PVC and fittings is available everywhere. You can build nearly the exact same thing with pvc you just can't take it apart and reuse the fittings like you can with the black poly pipe. I use both as I am expanding and building new stuff. If I know it is permanent I will use PVC, if I'm not sure it will be there forever then I use the Poly. After all Chickens grow and they expand for more than one reason!
D.gif

Here is my solution to watering, 55 gallon drum elevated about 3' above ground, catching rainwater from the roof of the coop. Piped to a 3' piece of 2" pvc with 4 vertical nipples. I put about 15 gallons of water in it last summer and I have not had to add since then.

Mehjr10 Looks like a neat and clean set up. I like the idea you and LoanOak have to use rain water.
OzarkBecky Poly pipe is used in too many other applications. I doubt that it will ever not be available.

Last edited:
When I attach Nipples or Auto Cups to the poly pipe system I use an end piece they call a plug. It is one of the cheaper parts of the whole system at about 42 cents each. I drill the proper size hole for which ever nipple or cup I have, most all of the directions tell you what size to drill so the item screws right into the plastic, the standard red nipples are a 1/8" thread. Lately I have started drilling and taping the proper size threads into the plug so the waterer fits much better. For the nipple waters with 1/8' thread the proper drill bit is 21/64" and you use a 1/8" NPT tap to get some really nice threads. If you don't have a tap you can just drill the plugs or pvc with a 11/32 drill and using a couple wraps of teflon tape screw in the nipple. If your putting the nipple in real thin plastic like a water bottle then you need to use a smaller drill bit of 5/16" which will give you a little more plastic to help grip.

The nipples Rich386 sells have 1/8" threads as well, the difference is the threads on his are tapered making it a little easier to screw in and are a little more forgiving if your hole is slightly to large. By being tapered you can just push them in some thinner materials as well.

Last edited:
I am not happy with my nipple waterers I am using for my quail.. They are not leaking, however when the quail hit the nipple I am sure more comes out than they drink. I have it on gravity system in a 1 gallon bucket about 6" above the pen.

I was thinking of going to cups, but not really wanting to go there.

What would be my advantage of going to the horizontal nipple Rich386?

Thanks in advance...

Back
Top Bottom