Watermelon Rinds for my Ducks?

1234duck

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Upper Lake, California
~ Should I use the cheese Grater for the watermelon "Rinds"? ~Then should I cut the grated pieces up a little smaller? I heard you can chop up the rinds but I'm not sure on the size of the chopped up stuff. I'm concerned about them choking on the pieces. Thanks, Julie

My dad has ducks, and one of the funniest things that happens at his house is when he gives his ducks a watermelon rind.
They go nuts, and they eat it SO FAST. They are machines. It wont hurt them, just give the entire rind. They cant bite off pieces that are too big. If they were that easy to choke, they would not be around today.

When you do, then get your phone ready. Its hysterical, and amazing how fast they eat it. I would love to watch the video! Im giggling at my desk just writing you this.

My ducks recognize a whole watermelon as their personal property, so when I buy one, I have to buy 1 for them as well. They swarm me as I am taking it out of the car and I trip over them as I go and toss it on the ground hard enough for it to break up for them.
They leave the bare dead rind for me to find with the lawn mower.

When we had ducks we left a bit of red on the rinds and toss them in a bag then into the freezer. Great Summer treat!! They loved it and so did the chickens!

Back
Top Bottom