Waterproofing the bottoms of my run?

takethelead

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Its been nonstop rain where i am and my runs are a complete mess. i tried digging a ditch to make the water run off rather then enter the run. Its completly covered on top but since the amount of rain is so much the ditches dont work. how can i fix this?

Are you in a flood where you are? If its just a normal rain, a sand run will drain and not get muddy. The sand will dry out and be sandy again. I hope you aren't an a flood and your flock will be ok. This is my first flock And I have not experienced torential rain yet. My coop is on concrete with 3 1/2 inch layer of sand. It drains well and sand dries back to sandy texture. I have an upper level to my enclosure. It has the roost and nest boxes. Mine could go there if flooding occurred.

thats how mine is set up, I know they will be safe in the coop its just such a mess and I hate seeing them out in the mud. Im in north georgia and oddly instead of a drought we have been just getting large amounts of non stop rain! I will try the sand though!

I put weed fabric down before the sand so it doesn't disappear into the ground over time, then put 5 or6 inches down not a drop of mud love it.

Cinder blocks may work over time but if its that wet over time they may sink down. That's if your area is going to stay muddy all the time.

One of the responses I got from my post was to create stilts similar to a beach house!
big_smile.png

Hope, it helps! :)

Back
Top Bottom