Watery and shut eyes

Riddlerosehearts

Hatching
Jun 17, 2022
I have two 2-day-old chickens, normally three but one died. Today i noticed that their eyes are completely shut, and I noticed one of them eye's was watering a lot. They also start crying because they think they're alone but they just cant see. I don't know what to do or what to give them. Any help?

-Did you get them from a hatchery, farm or hatch them yourself?
-What does your brooder set up look like?
-What type of bedding are you using?
-Did you clean the brooder with any type of chemical cleaner before you put them in it?
-Any possibly air contaminates where the brooder is located? (For example, your brooder is inside your house and you were just using a cleaning solution in the same or next room)

Hello and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Firstly how did your chick die? What is your set up like? What bedding are you using? have you tried to gently clean the eyes? It could be a number of things, but that is where I would start.

-Did you get them from a hatchery, farm or hatch them yourself?
-What does your brooder set up look like?
-What type of bedding are you using?
-Did you clean the brooder with any type of chemical cleaner before you put them in it?
-Any possibly air contaminates where the brooder is located? (For example, your brooder is inside your house and you were just using a cleaning solution in the same or next room)

-we got them from a relatives farm who raises chickens and roosters, the chicks we got before from that relative ended up becoming fine roosters
-we don't have a proper brooder, just a cardboard box with a heating lamp
-for now we're using a shirt until we have time to buy proper bedding since it's been months since we had to look after chicks
-we didn't clean the box with any chemicals, just grabbed a dry cloth and wiped the walls incase anything was in it
-nope, we keep the chicks very far away from the areas we clean when using chemicals
In that same box we had the sick chicks, we had another 2 chickens who are having the time of their life without any sickness so far, I have no idea how those 2 got sick at the same time, yet the other 2 are completely energetic and healthy.

-we got them from a relatives farm who raises chickens and roosters, the chicks we got before from that relative ended up becoming fine roosters
-we don't have a proper brooder, just a cardboard box with a heating lamp
-for now we're using a shirt until we have time to buy proper bedding since it's been months since we had to look after chicks
-we didn't clean the box with any chemicals, just grabbed a dry cloth and wiped the walls incase anything was in it
-nope, we keep the chicks very far away from the areas we clean when using chemicals
In that same box we had the sick chicks, we had another 2 chickens who are having the time of their life without any sickness so far, I have no idea how those 2 got sick at the same time, yet the other 2 are completely energetic and healthy.
If you have already asked the relative and there are no signs at their farm along with no other symptoms maybe it's clogged tear ducts. I would flush their eyes with a saline solution and get some terramycin to apply on their eyes.

Hello and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Firstly how did your chick die? What is your set up like? What bedding are you using? have you tried to gently clean the eyes? It could be a number of things, but that is where I would start.
I think the first chick was too small. Right away it just looked tired and would sleep all time, and the next day I realized it died, maybe in its sleep, but this chick's eyes were NOT shut when it wasn't sleeping. My setup is just a cardboard box with a heating lamp and shirt as bedding. I did try to clean the eyes with only warm water and a q-tip, but the chicks flinched and chirped really loud, which startled me. Someone suggested I added salt to the warm water to clean their eyes, but I really don't know if I should.

I think the first chick was too small. Right away it just looked tired and would sleep all time, and the next day I realized it died, maybe in its sleep, but this chick's eyes were NOT shut when it wasn't sleeping. My setup is just a cardboard box with a heating lamp and shirt as bedding. I did try to clean the eyes with only warm water and a q-tip, but the chicks flinched and chirped really loud, which startled me. Someone suggested I added salt to the warm water to clean their eyes, but I really don't know if I should.
  • Use 1 quart (4 cups) of distilled water, or boil 1 quart of tap water for 5 minutes. (Do not use well water or sea water.)

• Add 2 teaspoons of table salt.

• Mix the water and salt well until the salt is completely dissolved.

• Cool to room temperature before using.
Saline solution can be stored at room temperature in a tightly covered glass or plastic bottle. You can keep it for up to one week. Always label it and include the date.
@HollowOfWisps has given excellent advice 👍
If you find they are squealing or the eyes are a bit crusty, hold a damp, warm cloth on them for a couple of mins to loosen.

Back
Top Bottom