Watery Egg Whites

I don't know about bronchitis, but I have a barred rock hen that has laid eggs with watery whites her whole life. I think it's just a malfunction in her reproductive system. I always know her eggs...thinner, rough shells, and sure enough when cracked open, watery white.
hu.gif

I have been wondering the same thing! I have four chickens and two of them are laying eggs with watery whites. They are young though, only about 6 months old. They are all healthy, and even though it is cold here in Colorado already, we have a heat lamp in the coop so it doesn't get that cold in there. I collect eggs daily and the two eggs that I collected today were my lunch so they were maybe only two hours old.

I read something about ammonia levels inside the coop can cause this?? I just cleaned the coop out a few days ago completely. I normally will scoop the top part off to reveal clean pine shavings underneath about once every week and a half. We use pine shavings and they are really deep so that I can take off the top layer like that. Maybe the bedding inside the coop makes for a higher ammonia? It doesn't smell like ammonia though.

I'm baffled, but not overly concerned. I always thought that runny whites were a sign of old eggs, but these things were literally 2 hours old.

My hens started with some watery whites and wrinkled eggs. So if you notice some of your hens starting to cough or sneeze, shake their heads, separate them as soon as you can. I didn't do that in time and it ended up being Infectious Bronchitis and it went through my whole flock of 300 hens. I lost 6 and my egg production dropped from 15 dz down to 2 dz.. I used VetRx and heat vaporizors to help them breath. There is no medicine to give them if that is what it is. It is an airborn infection and is also in the feces. My nightmare started 1 1/2 weeks ago. Good luck!
sad.png

I have new hens from a friend and we got this egg yesterday and I cracked it the surrounding white around the yolk was thick but the other white was watery

I have buff orpington, 2 red star, and 2 ameraucana. My ameraucanas are the only one laying unusual shape size(very large and very small thin shelled egg) and both have watery-whites; the eggs that watery whites just started this past 3 weeks. I wonder if its the cold because here in Dallas it has been very cold fluctuating between 20 f to 38 f. I am not to sure if it is safe to use the eggs that watery, so I just boiled it well done and feed it to the chicken so is not wasted. I have been feeding them high calcium & omegas mixed with their food. I think my americauna's just plain different. In the future, red star are the best egg layer. As for my buff orpington, so so. My buffy(buff orpington) just broody too much, like every 3rd week!

Last edited:
We have just gotten into laying hen's on our small so called farm, we had 11 laying Hen's given to us and they are laying extra large brown egg but our white's are runny to if you find why and how to fix it please give me a text at [email protected] ty

if they are young Hen's they will have odd shape's for their first six month's or so but we have soft shell's to and we started to put oyster Shell's in their feed and that seem's to be helping, and we just put a young rooster in with them and they are laying a lot more getting around eight egg's a day now, was only getting about 4 egg's every 2 day's before. But still still have the running white yet but hard egg shell's now

Back
Top Bottom