Watery green poop HELP

Thanks for your support in this, Coach
this morning, she pooped a super big poop! she held it in overnight which she hasn't done, she usually stands, poops, sits and falls back asleep. Lots of greens, along with lots of white, almost normal looking, but it was liquidy.
she is grooming herself a lot more, and she is standing just to stand and stretch more often. even took a few steps. but still, the poops scare me. no sign of maggots though. closing her eyes a bit too.
once her tail feathers go up, then i'll be happy.
she's still eating and drinking, not as much panting as i had the fan on her overnight.

i gave her a dirt bath. her poopy feathers are coated with dirt and do not smell, although when i found her, she was sitting in her poop at least for a day. she's also sitting in dirt so that now, when im around, when she poops, i scoop it away from her so she stays relatively clean. But i had never cleaned her vent, it always sparkled like that :p
I hope you're right in that i caught the maggots early. I will continue to search for them.

I don't believe she has ever been wormed. i've been looking at the poop chart, and worm infected poop looks a bit different than hers. are there exceptions?

-Arianna

As there is a range of 'normal' there is also a range of 'abnormal'.
You can have a fecal float test done to confirm or rule out worms. Most vets will do that, even if they don't treat birds.
I worm my birds regularly due to my climate, and runny poos and weight loss is a good indication in my flock that it's past time.
Green is sometimes an indication they are not eating enough, and drinking lots of water can make them watery too. Unfortunately many symptoms can have many different causes. Barring any other symptoms or developments I'd get the fecal done if you can, and probably go ahead and worm her if you can't. Since you don't know if she's ever been wormed, Safeguard goat wormer or Valbazen would be good choices.

any other holistic methods to deworm? not able to drop $100+ on deworming chemicals. also loses our organic certification if she does in fact lay eggs.

any other holistic methods to deworm? not able to drop $100+ on deworming chemicals. also loses our organic certification if she does in fact lay eggs. 

Fenbendazole and ivermectin are approved for use in organic operations, but are supposed to be prescribed by a veterinarian.

-Kathy

Safeguard is fenbendazole, and is about $25 at Tractor Supply. And a bottle goes a long way for chickens.

When I first started with chickens I tried to stay 'all natural'. I lost a bird to a secondary infection due to worm infestation, and had several other sick birds. In my experience it is fine to use herbals for prevention, but if there is an infestation/infection they are not effective. I'm sure I have not tried every product available. But I don't like losing birds to treatable conditions. I still use herbals and holistics as much as I can, when appropriate, but I worm with chemicals. The other issue with herbals is they have to be given year round. So what may look more affordable on the surface can actually be more expensive.

Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom