Watery/mucusy poop

smopey

Chirping
Aug 3, 2020
Hello,

First time chicken owner here. My 11 week old pullet has had a lot of watery/loose poops with some clear mucus in them the past week. She has a normal poop on occasion but most of them are straight liquid with a little normal poop mixed in. She’s had quite a bit of diarrhea the week before this too. It’s not super hot here, it’s been in the low 70s, and I haven’t noticed her drinking an excessive amount of water. She’s a picky eater so she hasn’t had much fruits or vegetables lately either. Other than the pooping, she’s acting completely normal - eating, drinking, not lethargic. Should I be concerned about worms or coccidiosis? I know I won’t be able to know for sure without a fecal test, but would it hurt if I treated her for worms and/or coccidiosis as a preventative? I’ll attach a pic of her last two poops that I caught in a paper towel. You can see a little bit of regular poop and a big wet spot that was all water/mucus. Thanks for looking at my chicken’s 💩

Attachments

• 99683399-80CF-4B7A-87A8-0724A7E452FA.jpeg
    99683399-80CF-4B7A-87A8-0724A7E452FA.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 33
  • D18E130D-EAA9-4C9D-BDC2-B4DEFB16BBE8.jpeg
    D18E130D-EAA9-4C9D-BDC2-B4DEFB16BBE8.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 7
How is she acting? It won’t hurt your chicken to treat her for coccidiosis with Corid and to worm her with something like Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. My regular vet will do a fecal float on chickens as a favor if I am taking in a dog for shots or something. Usually with coccidiosis there may be signs of weakness, lethargy, not eating, or being puffed up, but some strain may be chronic.

You can try to give her some plain unsweetened yogurt mixed into feed with a little water 2-3 times a week for probiotics. Some people recommend feeding a small amount of buttermilk with boiled rice to help firm up poops.

How is she acting? It won’t hurt your chicken to treat her for coccidiosis with Corid and to worm her with something like Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. My regular vet will do a fecal float on chickens as a favor if I am taking in a dog for shots or something. Usually with coccidiosis there may be signs of weakness, lethargy, not eating, or being puffed up, but some strain may be chronic.

You can try to give her some plain unsweetened yogurt mixed into feed with a little water 2-3 times a week for probiotics. Some people recommend feeding a small amount of buttermilk with boiled rice to help firm up poops.
She’s acting mostly normal except she just started adjusting her crop a bunch and is shaking her head, so now I’m worried about gapeworms. I think I’m going to pick up some Safeguard. Would this work?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...uard-equine-dewormer-paste-25-gm?cm_vc=-10005

Back
Top Bottom