Watery Poo & Bowels of Hell Heat

MrsAuberry00

Songster
Apr 30, 2017
Southern Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
With temperatures in the upper 90s in addition to the miserably high heat index, I've been filling two small wading tubs with cold water a few times a day to help my six girls stay cooler. They're all panting, but I stood there for almost an hour watching them all to be sure they are eating and drinking, (they are, in addition to standing in the tubs...yay!) While watching, I noticed several of them squirting poo from their hind ends with more skill than a major league pitcher spits chew slobber. It's almost entirely liquid and I'm assuming this is a heat related thing but wanted some advice to be certain.

It could be because they are drinking a lot of water...it could be worms too.

How old are your chickens?
What do you feed them?

It could be because they are drinking a lot of water...it could be worms too.

How old are your chickens?
What do you feed them?

As far as their age, 2 of them are about 2-2 1/2 years-old, and I don't know the exact age of the other 4. We bought them from a chicken farmer at a flea market and were too new at this to even ask. We've had them almost 8 weeks and the research I did a bit after we got them suggested they were approximately 8-12 weeks. So...?

They free range during the day and we provide a feeder with food, but I don't know the brand or specific type offhand...my husband purchases it. I occasionally toss them some scratch, and I'll give them some melon or cucumber sometimes as a treat. Their diet hasn't changed from before or since they watery poo showed up.

I would take their poop into the nearest vets office and have it tested.
You could be dealing with Cocci and or worms.

Thanks. I read the article about Cocci and they have none of those symptoms, although that doesn't mean they don't have worms of some kind, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I was hoping it was just because of the scorching heat.

Thanks. I read the article about Cocci and they have none of those symptoms, although that doesn't mean they don't have worms of some kind, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I was hoping it was just because of the scorching heat.
It could be just because of the heat.
No one would know unless you had their poop tested.

temperatures in the upper 90s in addition to the miserably high heat index eating and drinking give them some melon or cucumber sometimes as a treat

Do you have any photos of the poop?

More than likely the watery poop is from the heat. "Wet" treats like melon and cucumber can contribute as well.

It's never a bad idea to take a fresh poop sample to your vet for testing to rule out worms, cocci or bacterial infections. But in Summer, with extra drinking and cool treats, watery poop is more prevalent.

90%25C2%25B0F+heat2.jpg
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

705_06_10_11_1_48_57_1.jpeg
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0 Watery droppings can be produced by hens which are too hot. It can be a way for them to cool down by drinking a lot and losing some of their heat in frequent wet droppings.

I don't have a photo, but it looks like the bottom picture you posted.

Keep watch on them.

It sounds like you are doing well with providing them with the wading water. It's absolutely fine to give some watery treats like melon and cucumber. Just watch to make sure they are eating their normal food and drinking plenty of water.

Consider having a pack or two of poultry electrolytes and some vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench on hand in case of emergency.

You are doing well. By observing your flock like you are doing now, it will help you identify when something is amiss.

Back
Top Bottom