Watery swollen eyes? Help

Speckles14

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 16, 2014
Mt. Vernon, IL
I found today that a few of my 8-10 week old chicks have watery pink swollen eye lids and ones eye is swollen shut. Also a couple chicks i picked up had water coming out of their mouths. they had just drank alot so im nof sure if thus has anything to do with their eyes. I just brought some chicks home from another person and added to my chicks. One of the chicks I brought home died. He was sneezing and lathargic before he died. What could this be and how do I cure this????

Are you using chicken wire in your run or coop? That could be a problems with small chicks they usually stick their head out. It's not the smoothest wire for baby chicks. I prefer 1/2 hardwire cloth since it's more durable and they cannot stick their head outside and getting poke by the sharp wires. I have the same issues with my 2 month old chick. You can use this spray to help out with the watery eyes or swell Vetericyn Pink Eye Spray.

One problem is getting chicks from multiple sources. You may be seeing a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza. A carrier can bring it into the flock, and may not even have symptoms, which can be watery or crusty eyes nasal secretions, swelling around an eye or the face, cough/sneeze or chest rattles, and possibly diarrhea. Antibiotics such as Tylan and oxytetracycline can be used to treat symptoms, but the disease can come back. Close your flock to any birds coming in or going out of the flock, and includes hatching eggs. Here is a good link to read about these diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I am just finishing up a 5 day antibiotic cycle for my girls, I noticed one of my hens had a soggy eye, snotty beak, weezy the whole 9 yards. I went about it holistically in the beginning to try and not use antibiotics, instead I gave her chopped garlic, oranges, and even some power aid to boost electro lights, and she came around, but then I noticed another 2 hens sneezing and coughing, so I broke down and treated my whole flock, now the world is a good place again! All my ladies have got their grove back. Well worth it!!!! Good luck with your paitents

Thanks everyone! I've been giving them electrolytes because I couldn't find the right antibiotic. They all seem stable but the worst few that I separated haven't gotten better. I have nearly 100 birds so I would like to get an oral medication for them all. That's alot of birds to try to give shots. Any suggestions? What did you use stickybunz?

Our son took us out for dinner for his father's birthday July 26, I left the chickens out in their run. I don't have a top on it yet.
Went we got home my husband said one of your chickens are out. She may have been spook. She didn't look like she was hurt.
On Sunday my husband said her eye looked funny it was swoon and was red all around her eye. On Monday morning there were two lumps
where it was swoon and still red. I put Vetericyn Ophtalmic Gel and then tried Neosporin orignal ointment, Her eye still has the lump and is red off and on.
I was thinking about taking her out of the coop and put her in other pen. and give her Tetroxy HCA-280. Or keep her with the rest of the hens plus the rooster.
She is one of my 4 hens that are laying. Don't know what to do. Help.

Are they some sort of insect bite??? You can give chickens children Benadryl 1/2 dose for a regular hen 1/4 for smaller birds.

Back
Top Bottom