Watery yellow poo? First-time chicken owner

It's getting to the end of the season, and IME some birds' calcium resources get depleted irrespective of how much is available in the diet. I have one prone to this, she was doing it the last two weeks (I think she's going into molt and maybe has now ceased laying altogether). Incidentally, when my girl does this she also sits in the nesting box later in the day and then leaves having laid nothing, as if she was expecting to lay and didn't realize she'd already lost it overnight. So Link might be doing the same.

Or sometimes it's lack of vit D, which can be boosted with a cod liver oil capsule sprinkled over the feed.

Or if it becomes cyclic - normal eggs, a few soft shelled eggs, nothing, then normal shell again - that's a sign of mycoplasma infection.

Just remembered your birds are young and are just starting laying; soft shells are a common snag at that stage, while their systems get into gear. In which case, nothing to worry about, just make sure you clean it up pronto so none of them try eating it and turn into an egg eater, which will wreck your future harvest and apparently is a bad habit which is very hard to break and others in the flock will copy.

The soft egg went right into compost as soon as it split and got all over my hand, yucko. I also tossed the nesting material that got yolked.

I went out to check the glove box and found 2 perfectly good eggs from Link. And while I was out on my run, my wife texted to let me know Zelda laid a good egg, too. So maybe it is the season or their age. 🙏

Evening update-

Zelda seems almost fully recovered. I know this because she has once again gotten the case of the zoomies whenever she sees me and is back to bullying the other two over treats (as she is Boss Hen). Am thinking it was coccidiosis but I caught it early/it was mild and the treatment is working. The soft egg still gives me pause but I'll keep observing their laying habit and hopefully it will work itself out.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. You're all so amazing and helpful to this newbie and I appreciate all the support!

Back
Top Bottom