wattle and egg problems… advice would be much appreciated!

rezzmedezz

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2022
hi all! so i noticed recently that one of my hens, opal, has a large mass on her wattle. i looked it up and didn’t see anything that matched her specific condition. her wattle appears to be red and healthy, she’s eating and drinking just fine. her energy levels are high and she is acting like a normal chicken! any help?

also! two of the eggs i’ve gotten from the coop have been weird. there is a small white ring on them. a perfect little circle, anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_3457.jpeg
    IMG_3457.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3452.jpeg
    IMG_3452.jpeg
    615.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3448.jpeg
    IMG_3448.jpeg
    607.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3447.jpeg
    IMG_3447.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3446.jpeg
    IMG_3446.jpeg
    539.1 KB · Views: 12
That's actually her ear lobe.
How long has the bump been there?
Might she have been stung by an insect?

Not sure about the egg oddities, shell gland glitch.
How old are these birds, in weeks or months, and how long have they been laying?

How old are these birds, in weeks or months, and how long have they been laying?
thank you for the response! she is about 6 years old in months that’s about 72 months. thank you for the correction! still learning about chicken anatomy. i noticed it yesterday, not sure how long it’s been there. i think she’s been laying for around 5 years! appreciate your time!

also the mass is hard! it’s slightly squishy but mostly hard!

hi all! so i noticed recently that one of my hens, opal, has a large mass on her wattle. i looked it up and didn’t see anything that matched her specific condition. her wattle appears to be red and healthy, she’s eating and drinking just fine. her energy levels are high and she is acting like a normal chicken! any help?

also! two of the eggs i’ve gotten from the coop have been weird. there is a small white ring on them. a perfect little circle, anyone know what this is?
The lump on her earlobe is most likely to be a cyst if it is hard as you describe.
In general they are not a problem unless they break the skin or hinder eye movement or block the ear canal for examples. Sometime a cyst will appear and later go of it's own accord. Cysts that come to the surface and burst should be treated with an antibiotic ointment.

Back
Top Bottom