Wattle swelling?

I agree this does not look like an air sac rupture. Where did the swelling start? ear lobes? or wattles? If it started with the wattles, then moved to the earlobes, that makes it even less likely that it was an air sac rupture. Do you have a pet vet for a cat or dog? Or is there one in your community? I wonder if such a vet would see him, and perhaps prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic and a course of prednisone. If you can't go the vet route, perhaps you can use Aquarium supply antibiotics. You'll need to get advice from someone who uses meds for correct dosing. @superchemicalgirl may be able to advise. Your choice whether to wait it out vs. culling. It's a good sign that you are able to get water into him. You might want to pick up some of this.

https://www.chewy.com/kaytee-exact-...inadfAvnmPcg9zulqehoCcaIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Otherwise, continue with moistened chicken feed, and perhaps some pureed cooked eggs. Anything that is of a liquid enough consistency that he can get it down. The big concern would be that he has so much swelling that he can't swallow, or his airway gets occluded. Keep an eye on him for discoloration of his comb that would indicate apnea.

We are still hanging in there. Started a broad spectrum antibiotic just in case. Still swollen. He drinks as long as I offer. Eating is the hard part. He flipped over the fly larvae. Excited. So I hand fed those. No other signs of any type of virus or bacteria. But his wattles have blackened considerably. Just going to fight as long as he is willing. Wait to see what happens.

Someone asked. Swelling has started in the wattles and moved to earlobes and between wattles.

Could he have been bitten or scratched by a rodent or some other wild animal? A small puncture wound or scratch can be very hard to find and see under dense feathering. One of my hen was bitten by a bobcat and a day later her wattle swelled up like a grape and was hot to the touch. The bite was on the top of her head near the eyes, not the wattle. The bite marks themselves were treated with neosporin and did not look infected, and unless you peeled back the feathers, you would not have even known they were there.

Poor girl, I didn't have access to antibiotics, so I just gave her supportive care, including hand feeding her and adding honey and vitamins to her water. After a few days the swelling slowly started to go down and now, 8 days later, it is back to normal.

I hope your rooster improves too. If its an infection, hopefully the antibiotics will help.

Just an update. I'm at the office today and have a minute to think straight. We have decided it is frostbite. He had started shaking his head with all the swelling so after talking to the other chicken owners and out local wildlife rehabber we decided to relive some of the pressure by draining some of the fluid. It has made all the difference in the world.

We did this by using a 20 gauge needle. Unless the swelling is to the point his was I don't recommend it unless absolutely necessary. Lets just say I have a good bit of cleaning to do. It ran like a hose. Not blood but a mostly water. It poured. He is so much happier and now the healing has started. I'll see if I can catch a picture tonight.

I appreciate everyones help with this guy. He will be the pet from here on out. He now think when I come in the garage I'm suppose to hold and rub him. Completely rotten.

Just like draining a hematoma in a dog's ear. When you do this with a dog, frequently the ear will become crinkly. It will be interesting to see if this happens to his wattles.

Sorry I haven’t updated lately. We have a frostbite survivor! He may not be pretty but he is now eating like a horse and can finally drink without help. We have had our hands full with the wintery weather down here. I know I can’t deive in it so it’s been a little crazy. Hoping he is my only knucklehead and we are past the worst.

Attachments

• 24F079A8-F070-445C-AF79-36BD552A0502.jpeg
    24F079A8-F070-445C-AF79-36BD552A0502.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 9
  • AE4C96DC-CDA4-4050-AB02-A7AD5173985D.jpeg
    AE4C96DC-CDA4-4050-AB02-A7AD5173985D.jpeg
    517.5 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom