Wattle swelling?

His neck underneath looks swollen as well. I would look around for a tick bite or ticks, or spiders in the coop. Other causes of swelling could be pecking, fowl cholera, respiratory diseases such as coryza, and frostbite. Hopefully, it is one of the lesser serious problems. Tick bites can cause a bluish swelling from bleeding into the tissue.

Ok y'all so maybe this will help, maybe it won't, but a couple of years ago one of my roos had a tick on his earlobe, just a small one, but his earlobes and wattles swelled up pretty bad. I think that's what this is..? Examine the head, looking for a big patch of discoloration, a very obvious bump, etc, anything that could have been a tick or spider bite. The swelling on my roo went down in a few days, but then again, he's a banty and the tick was one of those super tiny almost invisible ones. Try putting poultry-safe neosporin or one of those chicken meds on anywhere you see a bump (if you do). Hope this helps... good luck with him!

I have held him in my lap and looked him over repeatedly. Of course we live in the country and have dogs and cats so I know we have ticks.

I have him Benadryl earlier and it seems to have helped the swelling. I have wildlife rehabber up the road who is sending the info to the avian vet in the morning. Hopefully we can figure out what has happened.

How cold are the temps where you live? I’m just wondering about the possibility of frostbite. The benadryl is good if it is a tick or spider bite. He has a few peck marks on his comb, so are you seeing any signs of that or other trauma to the wattles from another rooster? I sure hope you canhelp him. Will he eat some soft mash of chicken feed and a lot of water?

Our current temp is right around 19 with a wind chill. Not sure what that is. The marks are the other Roos. I’ve got a few others. I’ve got several that will be rehomed or sold.

He takes water easily from the medicine dropper. The wet mash I made was more of a trick. He figured out a spoon this afternoon.

No but not worse either. Still no other symptoms. I’m feeding and watering him just holding my breath. We did talk to the avian vet and they thought air sac rupture. That didn’t fit. They are incredibly high for the visit or I’d make the drive.

Just watching for any other symptoms or for him to get worse. I’m hoping we get past what ever this is.

No but not worse either. Still no other symptoms. I’m feeding and watering him just holding my breath. We did talk to the avian vet and they thought air sac rupture. That didn’t fit. They are incredibly high for the visit or I’d make the drive.

Just watching for any other symptoms or for him to get worse. I’m hoping we get past what ever this is.
Sure is a confusing thing though. :old

Keep us updated.

And I agree, a ruptured air sack sounds unlikely.

I, too, seriously doubt that it is a ruptured air sac. Allergic reaction to some toxin (insect bite) or perhaps even excessive cold ? I am also confused. Saw a thread a bit ago where a bird had a tick embedded in his wattle that caused such a reaction.

Back
Top Bottom