Wattles but little comb color?

RaptorMum

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
Hi! New chicken mum here :) I currently have four x 6 week old BLRW's. Two are larger than the other two. Here is my dilemma!

Out of the small two: A) I believe this one is a pullet, she has the horizontal "hen stance", not as assertive, fluffy tail, no comb or wattle development whatsoever.

B) The other smaller one I believe is a bantam, possibly a cockerel as it has little red wattles and the pinkest comb of the four, chest bumps with the other chickens (even though I've heard females can chest bump too!).

C) The other two are larger; one of these two has a "roo stance", lengthens it's body and stands taller, very assertive, chest bumps the other larger bird, but I can barely see wattles and comb is fleshy pink color, has hardly any tail/very short at the moment.

D) The other large bird has more of a "hen stance" - more horizontal, big fluffy tail (this one and the pullet were the first to develop their tails) looks more like a hen, HOWEVER "she" gets into chest bump matches with the other larger chicken and she has red wattles developing but what's throwing me is that her comb is similar in color to the other large bird - a lot more fleshy (yellow?)/pink color with no red developing at this time. Could she still end up being a cockerel?

Shouldn't I be seeing more "red" in the possible male combs at this age?

Is 6 weeks still too young to tell?

PICS ATTACHED Descriptions:
First 3 pics are of the possible pullet (Bird A)
Next 2 pics are of possible bantam cockerel (Bird B)
Next 5 pics are of larger chicken with small wattles and not much color on comb. The one that has the roo stance and acts most like a roo. (Bird C)
Next 4 pics are of other larger chicken with wattles but not much color on comb. Has the hen stance. (Bird D)
Last pic is of the two largest birds side by side (Bird on the right is C, D is on the left)

Thanks in advance everyone, for any opinions! :frow

Attachments

• BirdA.jpeg
    BirdA.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 12
  • BirdA1.jpeg
    BirdA1.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 8
  • BirdA2.jpeg
    BirdA2.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 7
  • BirdB.jpeg
    BirdB.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 7
  • BirdB1.jpeg
    BirdB1.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 7
  • BirdC.jpeg
    BirdC.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 7
  • BirdC1.jpeg
    BirdC1.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 7
  • BirdC2.jpeg
    BirdC2.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 7
  • BirdC3.jpeg
    BirdC3.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 7
  • BirdC4.jpeg
    BirdC4.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 6
  • BirdD.jpeg
    BirdD.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 7
  • BirdD1.jpeg
    BirdD1.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 6
  • BirdD2.jpeg
    BirdD2.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 6
  • BirdD3.jpeg
    BirdD3.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 8
  • CandD.jpeg
    CandD.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi! New chicken mum here :) I currently have four x 6 week old BLRW's. Two are larger than the other two. Here is my dilemma!

Out of the small two: A) I believe this one is a pullet, she has the horizontal "hen stance", not as assertive, fluffy tail, no comb or wattle development whatsoever.

B) The other smaller one I believe is a bantam, possibly a cockerel as it has little red wattles and the pinkest comb of the four, chest bumps with the other chickens (even though I've heard females can chest bump too!).

C) The other two are larger; one of these two has a "roo stance", lengthens it's body and stands taller, very assertive, chest bumps the other larger bird, but I can barely see wattles and comb is fleshy pink color, has hardly any tail/very short at the moment.

D) The other large bird has more of a "hen stance" - more horizontal, big fluffy tail (this one and the pullet were the first to develop their tails) looks more like a hen, HOWEVER "she" gets into chest bump matches with the other larger chicken and she has red wattles developing but what's throwing me is that her comb is similar in color to the other large bird - a lot more fleshy (yellow?)/pink color with no red developing at this time. Could she still end up being a cockerel?

Shouldn't I be seeing more "red" in the possible male combs at this age?

Is 6 weeks still too young to tell? I can post photos if that would make it easier :D

Thanks in advance everyone, for any opinions! :frow
Option E: post some pictures!

Back
Top Bottom