What is this thing? (11 week old cochin)

RonWeasley

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2023
Some backstory. We ordered 5 unsexed cochins from a hatchery, along with some other birds. As of this post, they are 11 weeks old. We thought we were able to vent sex this brown one as a male, but we have doubts. We're not experienced with vent sexing, so don't fully trust our judgement with it, and then there are the appearance discrepancies.

Of our 5 cochins, 4 are blue, and this one is brown. 2 of the blue ones are pretty clearly roos. Pointy, curvy tailfeathers; substantial, red combs and wattles; behavior, etc. But this brown one has feathers that might be hen feathers? No substantial wattles or comb, and not red; but acts like a roo, and is larger than the others a little. The two blue hens have tails similar to the two blue roos, so maybe cochins are weird? I've heard they develop quite slowly and that roosters can take up to 2 years to fully mature. Perhaps the brown one is a roo that just has later wattling than the others?

Are cochins weirdos, or do we have a brown hen?

Oh, and is there a name for this coloring other than "brown?"

Attachments

• roo1.jpg
    roo1.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 196
  • roo2.jpg
    roo2.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 43
  • roo3.jpg
    roo3.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 44
:welcome Looks like a partridge cochin pullet.
Cool! And thank you all for the warm welcome. Are there specifics that indicate pullet? I'd like to know more about how to tell myself, since we're kinda unsure with the cochins.

Back
Top Bottom