Wattles

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tiffanyhurd, Sep 3, 2011.

1. tiffanyhurd

tiffanyhurd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I have a 5 week old Silkie that have very large wattles. I was told she/he is a hen, but there are times i'm not so sure! I have seen pictures of other Silkies with no wattles that are older. I'm confused on what she/he might be. I will try and put pictures on later!

2. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    5 wks is a little too early for anyone to say with a Silkie. My Silkies are 2 months old now and the males have big combs and red wattles, But at 5 wks the whole group looked pretty much identical.

3. tiffanyhurd

Jul 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up of my Silkie! She is only 5 wks old. Do hens have wattles this large at such a young age? Would really love more feedback!! Thanks!

4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Roo!

5. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    rooster

6. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Dang! I stand corrected! I must have slow developing Silkie boys. Only 1 of mine has wattles that big and red and mine are 2 months old.

7. tiffanyhurd

Jul 19, 2011
    That is what I was affraid of. We can't have roos where we are so I have to find him a new home. [​IMG] This one of course was my favorite! Thanks for the input I really appreciate it!

If you know anyone around Tacoma, WA who wants a Silkie roo please let me know [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by