ALRIGHT! I give up! I tried holding out until next spring. The final blow to my resolve was the assurances that you CAN hatch eggs and successfully integrate the chicks into the main coop in winter, even in the Northeast. Several days of rationalizing a potentially bad idea later, and the genetic diversity for spring/summer chicks argument has won out. Thanks to Hurricane Irene, my garage has been rearranged and I've got enough space to store a 5'x5' grow out pen for the ones I dont plan to keep. If I need more space, I still have the front porch and the basement. So- I've got bids on 24-ish EE & barnyard mix hatching eggs on ebay (I'm actually banking on the fact that they wont all hatch or survive!) and I'm collecting the materials to build a new incubator and a brooder. OMG... What am I getting myself into?! My husband is gonna kill me!!