Ways to keep wild birds away from duck feed??

glll

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2020
Sydney, Australia
So I've gathered that my duck feed is eaten more by wild birds than the ducks! I keep the ducks' food and water in their coop but I leave the door open so they can enter and exit to eat and drink throughout the day, however, this means that the wild birds that come to my backyard do the exact same! I have tried hanging CDs around coop where their food is to scare the birds away. This does the job for the birds but the ducks are also scared of the CDs and wont eat the food there, I can't have them scared of their own home. I'm worried about what diseases the birds may potentially carry or give to my ducks so I definitely need a solution to this problem. Does anyone have some tips on keeping wild birds out of their duck coop and away from the duck feed?

I don't know where in the world you are, but you should be able to teach the ducks how to use one of these automatic feeders (link to Australian site, but these exist in most countries):
https://www.somerzby.com.au/products/somerzby-automatic-chicken-feeder/
They stand on the platform to open the lid to the feed. Most wild birds will be too small/light to trigger the lid lifting.

I feed the wild birds in their own feeders in my back yard but it's by the fence so what drops my flock eats. But sunflower seeds aren't bad for them. I Did find a dead cardinal in their yard once not sure if he thought he could get a free meal and one of the flock grabbed him. I never see any wild birds around my flocks feeders. I enjoy the wild birds so feeding them is 2 fold I get to watch them from my kitchen window and it keeps them from the flocks feed.
:welcome

Like already suggested an automatic feeder would work great to help deter mice rats and wild birds, just set a brick so it's open for a few days, so they get used to eating out of it, you could also try a gravity PVC feeder i don't think most wild birds would try to eat out of that.

I don't have any problems with wild birds eating my food around here, only squirrels which the chickens enjoy chasing off anyways. My chickens constantly fly over to my bird feeder's and eat the sunflower seed and i don't have any problems.

I feed the wild birds in their own feeders in my back yard but it's by the fence so what drops my flock eats. But sunflower seeds aren't bad for them. I Did find a dead cardinal in their yard once not sure if he thought he could get a free meal and one of the flock grabbed him. I never see any wild birds around my flocks feeders. I enjoy the wild birds so feeding them is 2 fold I get to watch them from my kitchen window and it keeps them from the flocks feed.
:welcome
At first I didn't mind feeding the birds because I enjoy seeing them too, but I definitely don't want them all up in the duck food leaving their droppings and finishing the food before the ducks get to it

Back
Top Bottom