Ways to punish bad duck behavior?

I don't know about duck specific discipline.... Mine don't need discipline. However I know how discipline works with other animals, including children.

The consequence should be delivered with as little excitement/exclamation possible. So put on your best poker face and pretend you aren't upset. Don't speak to your duck. Don't pet your duck. That is rewarding.

Also the consequence should be delivered immediately after the offending behavior begins. So unless you can carry a hose around constantly that may not be your best option. Optimally you would begin to give the consequence the moment your duck begins biting inappropriately every single time.

Preferably make a unique sound/word the moment before you discipline. Hopefully in time you can make this unique sound/word and that will be enough to stop the behavior.

I'm sorry I don't know what the optimal consequence for a duck would be. I do like the idea of taking the non attacking duck and leaving - make sure to not respond to the attacking duck in any way. And only do this if the attacking duck would be safe. But if you can't do this 100% of the time it probably won't be optimally effective.

One way to help might be positive association training. Does your duck like mealworms? Give your attacking duck mealworms while you pet the other duck. You would have to start out slow and build up the tolerance, but frequently animals can begin to look forward to things they previously feared by this technique.

Back
Top Bottom