Wazine 17 - How many days should the eggs not be eaten?

Yogiman - Thank you for the MSU link. After reading the descriptions it really sounds like my chickens have that large roundworm. I feel better about giving them Wazine now. I sure hope that it gets rid of those nasty things.
fl.gif

You are quite welcome and I wish you the very best of luck. Worms can be destructive to the birds. Somehow I can't associate the pine straw with the worms. The MSU link is one of many that I repeatedly refer to for information.

Well, I was thinking what if the pine straw I raked up contained larvae or something. But it probably had nothing at all to do with it.
However, I like the good smelling hay better and it's got to be more comfortable for the chickens!

Hi, it was me who had the horrible hatch after giving Wazine. You can do a search w/Wazine as the key word if you want to. I really can't remember...I *think* it was concluded the eggs could be eaten after 14 days & wait ATLEAST 30 before incubating, but it specifically says on there not to used on birds who are for that reason. The only reason we decided the eggs were safe after 14 days is b/c the bird it's self can be eaten after 14 days. I don't know though...after seeing what I saw w/those poor babies, I wouldn't eat those eggs for a month, although I personally won't use that wormer again period. Just me, although many other's have had fine experience w/it and said it was just my fault for being stupid enough to incubate the eggs (although I was very new at the time & didn't know better.)
HTH and your guys get better,
Kristi

don't forget to mark your calendar, to retreat in 10-14 days, since it does only get rid of the adult round worms, not the eggs/larvae.

I just gave my chickens wazine about a month ago and have been searching the net for info on when it's safe again to eat their eggs. Everywhere I look the studies say not to eat the chicken flesh for 14 days. Easy since we've never eaten any of our chickens. But the studies I've found say nothing about when we can eat the eggs after worming the chickens with wazine. It has taken me forever to find some solid info that may apply.

Last edited:
It seems more like twenty - to twenty one days... three weeks... according to what we know.

But what do we know, really? They cannot prove anything, that is what it sounds like to me.

Quote:

Currently there is no validated analytical method available to measure the depletion of parent piperazine in tissues of food-producing animals. However, the residue studies with radiolabeled piperazine in Master File 3527 indicate that withdrawal periods of two to three weeks should be ample to assure depletion of drug related residues to below levels of concern.

SHOULD being the key word.

Last edited:
There have been several posting regarding the use of Piperazine 17 for worming chickens. I, too, bought Wazine 17 without reading the label too closely. I contacted someone I have met and trust, i.e., a professor at University of Connecticut, Ph.D, of the Dept. of Animal Science, and posed the question of using this product in laying hens. Here is his reply in quotes: "Yes the WAZINE is the same as the Piperazine. I know what the label says and everyone with laying hens uses this without any problem to either them or the hens. They just don’t want to spend the $$ on all the FDA testing to use in layers. Eggs can be eaten. Use 1 oz of wazine 17 per gal of water. Treat for 1 day and then about 14 to 21 days later treat again."

I hesitate to use his name without his permission but will do so directly to anyone who contacts me directly at: [email protected]

(10 young hens, 4 laying, 6 still on welfare)

Back
Top Bottom