Wazine 17 - How many days should the eggs not be eaten?

LuckysMom

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
South Carolina
One of my chickens has worms. So I called around the nearest farm store, and some pet stores. Got the answer - "We didn't know chickens could get worms". Then I drove 35 miles to the only decent farm store around here. The clerk recommended Wazine 17. In fact it was the only thing they had that was specifically for poultry. So I will put it in their water in the morning. Now, how many days do we have to wait till we can eat their eggs again? Also, do I really need to give this Wazine every 30 days? If that's the case I guess I'll never get to eat the eggs again.
idunno.gif

I understand they are trying to cover their arse, but if you really look at all the information on piperazine (wazine 17), you'd also see that it has also been used for treating household pets AND people!
All three people i spoke to said that they would eat the eggs anyway.
That being said, i plan to treat my chickens tomorrow and discard for a few days

I know this is a late post, but I was looking for this information and when I saw so many guesses at the right answer I decided to contact the lab that makes it. This is the information that was given to me. The regulations on the bottle was what the FDA required them to put there. The gentleman that I spoke to said that the FDA recommends waiting until the 17th day after treatment to eat the eggs. This is not because of fear of ingesting the chemical, but that is how long they want to be sure there are no more worms left in the chicken. I treated my chickens with the Wazine 17 for 7 days and the man told me that I only had to treat the water for 1 day. The chemical does not kill the worm, it just "knocks them out" so they let go of the lining of the intestine and are flushed out when they poop. So you could see worms still being expelled for several days after treatment.  He said you don't want the birds to re eat the worms or they reinfect, that is why they have them being retreated in 30 days for caged birds meant for eating because there is a higher likelihood of them eating the worms that are expelled. For the average person with a small group of hens, he said just treat the water for one day and wait 17 days to eat the eggs according to the FDA regulations.  He said the medication will not hurt you if you eat the eggs sooner, but the FDA was concerned that there may be eggs, on the very rare instance, that had worms. That is why they put that time limit on them. I was concerned because I have very young grandchildren(2 and younger) and did not want them to get sick.  He told me that this medication was one that had been developed in the lab for pinworms in children, but that the FDA only approved the one on the market for chickens, so he said I didn't have anything to worry about with the children eating the eggs.  He said over the many years he has worked at this company he must have ingested some here and there and he is 80 years old and is still alive to tell about it! :). very nice and helpful man and put my mind at ease.  I hope I did for all of you as well.
Gail

So the large roundworm can be transmitted from hens to humans?! I haven't found any information online that state this.... Now I'm very curious.

How did you determine that one of your chickens has worms?
It is essential to know what kind of worm it has. Reason being, there are 5 different worms that a chicken can have. You have to treat them for the specific worm. To the best of my knowlede and extensive research, I have found only one medication that is labeled as a general purpose wormer. It is advertised as the only wormer approved by the FDA.
Also you do not have to trash the eggs during the deworming.
I will do some research regarding your question about the Wazine and post it for you. Meanwhile I am adding this link for your reading until I get back to you.
My concern for you is that the treatment might be useless if it is not for the right worms.
See this link:

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/poultry_worms.html

just about any vet can do a fecal sample test for worms to determine the kind of worms they have...

Wazine is piperazine, which treats only for adult round worms..then retreat in 10-14 days.

there are other wormers that treat a broader spectrum, but there usually is a withdrawal time.
the wazine is ok..since round worms are common in chickens.

have a read:

http://shilala.homestead.com/ivomec.html

Last edited:
Rooster Booster is a pellet form looking like laying pellets. It is mixed with their normal feed ration. No fuss or muss at all. The web site has a Q&A section that is worth the reading alon with other products they have to offer.

We had a thread on this a short while back and I think determined a good two weeks before eating the eggs (but you may want to research this further - my memory can be faulty). More importantly, do NOT incubate the eggs. Someone had an awful, devastating hatch of chicks that had to be put down.

Yesterday, my daughter who is home from college on spring break told me that Angel had worms. She said she saw them when she was out in the coop with the chickens and Angel pooped in front of her. I went out to the coop and looked around but didn't see anything. So I went to the farm center, thinking they would know what is the most common type of worms around here and what works to treat it. I put the Wazine in their water this morning.
Then today I went out to the coop after work to give it a thorough cleaning (even more thorough than my usual weekly cleaning). I saw a pile of droppings with some loops of stringy white sticking out of it. So, not being the squeamish type, I picked it apart and looked at it. The worms looked to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.
I do hope I bought the right stuff and that it works because when I told my husband I might have to take one of the chickens to the vet he acted like I was crazy.
Another thing is, I never had this problem until I ran out of wheat straw for their bedding. I started raking up pine straw and putting it in the coop. I wonder if that contributed to Angel getting the worms. I cleaned all that stuff out of there and put down good sweet-smelling straw that I got from the farm store yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom