We are back!

Pics
May 26, 2018
Lafayette, La
So I previously started this journey back in 2018, when I latter realized that I had no "legal" place to put a coop and ended the whole journey.

However, I am now in a new house (and single), so I have some extra time on my hands and I want my chickens!

Guess I will give a run down of what I have setup, plans and looking for some advice!

So this is my current setup below, I am using 1-2 inches off flake pine straw. This is a 110g container. I am planning on 6-8 chickens (I eat A LOT of eggs). I have a heat lamp hanging from a chain on the ceiling double secured that I am able to lift. Currently on the one side of the container is 95 degrees, on the other it goes down to about 78-80ish.

Plans are to put the water and food on the cooler side.

1634564994090.png

For food I am planning on using the below up until 18 weeks and then switching to laying feed.

1634565114736.png

The pullets I am getting are a month old. I have the option of Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, Silver Laced Wyandottes and Easter Eggers.

I am not sure which I would like to get. I have a two year old son who will eventually help me tend to the chickens when they get older (gotta teach them youngsters responsibility), but for the next while its all me.

I researched Buff Orphintons can be very friendly but also broody. I am not really interested in Rhode Island Reds. I really like the way Silver Laced Wyandottes look and I like the eggs of the Easter Eggers.

My first question is, I have seen a mixed floak of different birds, could I get 2x BO, 2x SLW and 2x EE? or would there be trouble in the flock?

I will not be getting a rooster.

For a coop I am planning the Superior Construction Chicken Coop, 70401D at tractor supply.

1634565396386.png

I am relearning everything so please be kind. Am I at least on the right track?

RUN!!!!!! Away from that tiny coop.

Welcome to BYC.

Be very very careful to not overheat chicks in that container with that heat lamp. It almost looks impossible to get away from the heat.

You will have no trouble with the mixed flock if you get them all at the same time.
Integrating birds is no fun and would be impossible with that particular coop.

You want at least four square feet of floor space per bird inside of the coop.

Hello and a very belated welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

If you are getting started chicks at 4 weeks old your brooder is already too hot for them. I would drop the wattage down on the lamp or just not use one at all. That tub is going to be very small for six 4-week old chicks.

The coop is going to be way too small for 6 LF birds. You need to shoot for 4 sq feet per bird in the coop and that does not include the nest box area. You wouldn't need more than 2 nest boxes for 6 birds. You also want 6 linear feet of roost space and 6 sq ft of permanently open ventilation. That coop meets none of these requirements. I really don't know of anyone that actually likes these coops once they've kept birds in them for any length of time.

You may want to consider sourcing a small shed and converting that into a coop with storage area. You will be MUCH happier with that.

I have owned all of the breeds you have access to with the exception of the BOs. All of them are good breeds. Both the RIR and SLW can be very dominant and bossy. But then again, so can EEs depending on what their lineage is.

Last edited:
Belated :welcome :frow The chicks won't need that much heat. 95 degrees is good for their first week of age then dropping 5 degrees weekly after that so if your chicks are already a month old they should have some feathers which are good insulators. Many people have mixed flocks. Most likely the Rhode Island Reds you mentioned are really Production Reds not true Rhode Island Red. I raise pure Rhode Island Reds and love them. Build your coop as big as you can. In the picture you posted is not nearly big enough for the number of birds you are planning on getting. Also I'm assuming you are planning on free ranging which is ok but you will loose some birds to predators eventually. Lessons learned the hard way. You may go for quite a long time with no issues but sooner or later your flock will be discovered. You will find a lot of good information here BYCArticles.jpg Good luck planning and have fun...

This is one of my RIR hens. I do show my birds at poultry shows. She was a champion.

Attachments

• IMG_3456.JPG
    IMG_3456.JPG
    662.9 KB · Views: 2
RUN!!!!!! Away from that tiny coop.

Welcome to BYC.

Be very very careful to not overheat chicks in that container with that heat lamp. It almost looks impossible to get away from the heat.

You will have no trouble with the mixed flock if you get them all at the same time.
Integrating birds is no fun and would be impossible with that particular coop.

You want at least four square feet of floor space per bird inside of the coop.

Thank you for that information, I must have missed the 4sqft rule while relooking over everything!

Hello and a very belated welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

If you are getting started chicks at 4 weeks old your brooder is already too hot for them. I would drop the wattage down on the lamp or just not use one at all. That tub is going to be very small for six 4-week old chicks.

The coop is going to be way too small for 6 LF birds. You need to shoot for 4 sq feet per bird in the coop and that does not include the nest box area. You wouldn't need more than 2 nest boxes for 6 birds. You also want 6 linear feet of roost space and 6 sq ft of permanently open ventilation. That coop meets none of these requirements. I really don't know of anyone that actually likes these coops once they've kept birds in them for any length of time.

You may want to consider sourcing a small shed and converting that into a coop with storage area. You will be MUCH happier with that.

I have owned all of the breeds you have access to with the exception of the BOs. All of them are good breeds. Both the RIR and SLW can be very dominant and bossy. But then again, so can EEs depending on what their lineage is.

I actually have a small shed in my backyard I might be able to convert, since I use my garage for storage. That is a really good idea. Thanks!

Belated :welcome :frow The chicks won't need that much heat. 95 degrees is good for their first week of age then dropping 5 degrees weekly after that so if your chicks are already a month old they should have some feathers which are good insulators. Many people have mixed flocks. Most likely the Rhode Island Reds you mentioned are really Production Reds not true Rhode Island Red. I raise pure Rhode Island Reds and love them. Build your coop as big as you can. In the picture you posted is not nearly big enough for the number of birds you are planning on getting. Also I'm assuming you are planning on free ranging which is ok but you will loose some birds to predators eventually. Lessons learned the hard way. You may go for quite a long time with no issues but sooner or later your flock will be discovered. You will find a lot of good information here BYCArticles.jpg Good luck planning and have fun...

This is one of my RIR hens. I do show my birds at poultry shows. She was a champion.

I am not sure about the difference between the RIR and the PR, all I know is the hatchery has very good reviews and is very reputable around here.

So things to fix, make my brooder bigger, take off the heat lamp, and find a new coop.

Thanks all!

Thank you for that information, I must have missed the 4sqft rule while relooking over everything!

I actually have a small shed in my backyard I might be able to convert, since I use my garage for storage. That is a really good idea. Thanks!

I am not sure about the difference between the RIR and the PR, all I know is the hatchery has very good reviews and is very reputable around here.

So things to fix, make my brooder bigger, take off the heat lamp, and find a new coop.

Thanks all!
Which hatchery?

Just beware... I cannot tell you how many people sell sick birds.

I've never heard of this place so I cannot say anything good or bad about them but just beware.

I highly recommend ordering chicks from a major hatchery... Not a backyard breeder.

Back
Top Bottom