We are back!

Are you sure about the accuracy of your thermometer? How active are they? They should be contentedly peeping, eating/drinking and napping throughout the day. They motor around quite a bit.

I would want the area where the food and water were kept at ambient temperature.

Have you considered investing in a brooder plate? That or a Momma Heating Pad are far better as heat sources for chicks, consume far less electricity, are no where near the fire hazard that a heat lamp is and chicks rarely, if ever, get pasty butt using them.
They are very active, I was actually going to get a brooder plate today, since I read really good reviews that they are way better than the heat light.

thank you for to advice!

The weak chick just passed in my hand. I wasn't sure if she was weak but she was sleeping a lot. I tried to give a room temp yolk like Meyer suggested, ate a little, but not much. Also tried getting water down, took a few sips but never went constantly back.

I came home today and she was laying down while all the other chicks ran around happy. I picked her up and she was labored breathing. After about give minutes of holding her, trying to her to get some water, she twitched and died.

Maybe if I had Save-A-Chick she would have made it.

The weak chick just passed in my hand. I wasn't sure if she was weak but she was sleeping a lot. I tried to give a room temp yolk like Meyer suggested, ate a little, but not much. Also tried getting water down, took a few sips but never went constantly back.

I came home today and she was laying down while all the other chicks ran around happy. I picked her up and she was labored breathing. After about give minutes of holding her, trying to her to get some water, she twitched and died.

Maybe if I had Save-A-Chick she would have made it.
I am so sorry for your loss.

Switched out the heat lamp to a brooder plate. Under the plate is around 90 degrees but they are all spreading their wings. Which I was told means they are hot.

Are they ok?

443CAFFE-AFB3-4989-81C9-8CC92F01519F.jpeg

Switched out the heat lamp to a brooder plate. Under the plate is around 90 degrees but they are all spreading their wings. Which I was told means they are hot.

Are they ok?

View attachment 2875467
They are just passed out. But you can raise the plate up a notch. They will also put themselves part way under the plate and part way out to regulate their heat needs.
Nice upgrade!

So I am getting a little upset and maybe it’s par for the course. I noticed one of the gals had pasty bum. Last night and cleared it out. Saw the bum pulsing and she pooped on me. Which was awesome because I knew it was clear.

Today she was NOT ok. Labored breathing, just like the past gal that passed. Checked her again and no pasty bum, but I knew she was critical because she looked just like the chick from the other day.

Long story short I checked her today and she was dead and foaming at the mouth.

My flock started as 8 and is now down to 5. One dying in shipping. One just a rough shipping and I assume this one was maybe I didn’t catch the pasty bum quick enough.

My frustration is I now have another bird that don’t sticking with the flock now. She also had pasty bum. Hard clump that I cleared. No poop. But she is staying under the brooder warmer.

I feel I am missing something. I got rid of the heat lamp and got the brooder radiator. The chicks now have electrolytes in their water. I have a starter chick feed.

The temp under the brooder radiator is 94 degrees.

What can I change? Loosing chicks is destroying me.

Check to see you don't have chemical bottles in the same area as your brooder is in. Even though they are capped they will still leech out toxic fumes.

I will check, I do have some gas containers in there, I will move them to the shed. I do not smell fuel, nor have I used them since setting up the brooder, but I will do anything at this point not to lose anymore tiny gals.

Back
Top Bottom