1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We are finally free ranging!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by NickyPick, Sep 9, 2011.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I finally got the nerve up to start letting my chickens out into the horse pen - the entire reason I got them in the first place. They're about 6+ months old now and all but one are laying. I'm letting them out around 4, when I get home, and putting them up when the horses eat at dusk.

The first day, they stayed pretty close in a group.
    [​IMG]

But then they started splitting up and ranging farther.
    [​IMG]

I love that the all come running/flying when I call them in in the evening, even though some still haven't figured out the fence holes and gates that they need to use. The horses mostly leave them alone. Casper, tho, thinks they're fascinating and will spend the evening following them around. I'm so happy they're all peacefully getting along and the chickens head straight for the manure piles to break apart as soon as they get out there.

Well, almost as soon. First, they must gather around the water trough and the boys hand out duties for the day:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. toochicky

toochicky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    oregon
    Too cute!!! [​IMG] I love the watering hole. [​IMG]

3. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    You have wyandottes?? [​IMG]

4. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I love this! And great pictures! It's such a good feeling to let chickens out and see them so happy.

5. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

I love the water hole too! They look like one big happy family!

6. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Just be careful with that watering hole. I had a smaller one with multiple exits in case somebody fell in but I still lost a bantam hen in it.

7. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    2 GLWs, 2 SLWs, 2 BO's, 2 Dk Brahmas and 4 EE's. Plus the boys, 1 EE and 1 BO.

I've been a bit nervous about the water too, but one of the mares knocked Erebel in today and she flapped her way out. None are bantams, so hopefully they will have enough thrust and boyancy to get out if they fall in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by