We are finally free ranging!

NickyPick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Pine Valley (New Waverly), TX
I finally got the nerve up to start letting my chickens out into the horse pen - the entire reason I got them in the first place. They're about 6+ months old now and all but one are laying. I'm letting them out around 4, when I get home, and putting them up when the horses eat at dusk.

The first day, they stayed pretty close in a group.
67997_09032011_1st_day_outside_20110903_020.jpg

But then they started splitting up and ranging farther.
67997_09032011_1st_day_outside_20110903_031.jpg

I love that the all come running/flying when I call them in in the evening, even though some still haven't figured out the fence holes and gates that they need to use. The horses mostly leave them alone. Casper, tho, thinks they're fascinating and will spend the evening following them around. I'm so happy they're all peacefully getting along and the chickens head straight for the manure piles to break apart as soon as they get out there.

Well, almost as soon. First, they must gather around the water trough and the boys hand out duties for the day:
67997_09092011_water_trough_gathering_006.jpg

lol.png

Just be careful with that watering hole. I had a smaller one with multiple exits in case somebody fell in but I still lost a bantam hen in it.

2 GLWs, 2 SLWs, 2 BO's, 2 Dk Brahmas and 4 EE's. Plus the boys, 1 EE and 1 BO.

I've been a bit nervous about the water too, but one of the mares knocked Erebel in today and she flapped her way out. None are bantams, so hopefully they will have enough thrust and boyancy to get out if they fall in.

Back
Top Bottom