Oct 17, 2017
Hi My name is Dee Dee,
My niece, Desiree and I researched all the pros and cons of raising chickens for a year. In March when our local feed store had baby chicks we decided to go for it. Desiree is 13 and she spends a lot of her weekends with me. I do not have children of my own so I get to borrow her. I love her with all my heart like she is mine. The two of us are nature lovers. We garden, this year we are saving seeds.
I'm a photographer and she comes with me and shares my passion for animals and eagles. We were only suppose to get 4 chickens, but we ended up with 8. We built our coop together, got the chicks together and all the supplies needed. We made a few mistakes in the very beginning and we lost a few babies because the heat lamp was too close. I couldn't sleep for days and I cried. Desiree is a rock, she comforted me. When one of the chickens got an injury she was came right over and helped me put on the medicine. Our chicks have begun to lay eggs and it is so much fun. I love to see them run up to the fence when they hear my voice. I love it when they chase each other and play take away with grapes. We have 2 well summers (Fergie and Fern), 1 buff orpington (Buffy), 1 light Brahma (Daisy), 1 Maran cuckoo (Cookie), 1 silkie (Rochette) and 2 Ameraucana (Gracie and Aubrey). We are eager to learn!

G’Day from down under Dee Dee & Desiree :frow Welcome!

I loved reading your intro, it sounds like you have a great relationship which is awesome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Personally, I have found the Topic of the Week articles a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

wow how fortunate for both of you to share like that :welcome I am so happy to have you both join us I will say for you niece she can make her own profile there is a large group of the younger set :bun and many of us old fogies :old there is a fabulous learning center , coop pages we love photo's ... Welcome to you both
Oh Thank you for the warm welcome!

View attachment 1163047
To BYC!

It is great that you and your Niece have chickens now! There is a lot to learn in the first year so ask away!
Great! Thank you! I'm glad I found this resource. My Cookie has been staying in the nesting box and I starting reading all the comments and ideas. That's what how I came here. So Thank You all. I went down and removed her from the box. She growled a little, but she is sweet and didn't get mad when I picked her up. I was so happy to see her eat and drink.

View attachment 1163047
To BYC!

It is great that you and your Niece have chickens now! There is a lot to learn in the first year so ask away!
This is a hobby for us. We love to garden and eating fresh. Everyone told me there is nothing like fresh eggs. Oh my!!! they were so right. I love getting eggs that taste so yummy. I know what I fed my chickens and the conditions they live in. There's comfort in that.

Back
Top Bottom