We brought home Stormy, our rooster yesterday :-)

Spaeth-chicks

Songster
May 16, 2020
Sebastopol, CA
We hatched eggs that we got from our friends flock in the spring. We ended up with 4 girls and 3 boys. We brought the cockerels over to our friends house to be raised by their larger established flock of girls. Two of them stayed, and we brought Stormy home. He's GIANT! He makes our girls look so little. He makes the cutest purring, cooing sounds and dances for them and for us. He's been talking to them through the run. We let the girls out of their run to walk around and meet him through his run. Ginger (our current only laying pullet so far) went up to him and stared him down, and took a few bites at him through the mesh. He tried to show the girls that he had a weed in his mouth, that he picked up, and kept dropping and calling them over "I have food ladies..." They just foraged and ignored his advances. He's so adorable. He lets us pet him. I have to admit, he's a bit intimidating since he's so big and so different then the girls that I'm used to. He was so young when we brought him over, he's a totally different bird now. I know once we get used to him, we'll grow attached. I hope he ends up a nice boy. We're planning to add four more girls to our flock next spring.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9997.jpg
    IMG_9997.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9998.jpg
    IMG_9998.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9999.jpg
    IMG_9999.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 15
We hatched eggs that we got from our friends flock in the spring. We ended up with 4 girls and 3 boys. We brought the cockerels over to our friends house to be raised by their larger established flock of girls. Two of them stayed, and we brought Stormy home. He's GIANT! He makes our girls look so little. He makes the cutest purring, cooing sounds and dances for them and for us. He's been talking to them through the run. We let the girls out of their run to walk around and meet him through his run. Ginger (our current only laying pullet so far) went up to him and stared him down, and took a few bites at him through the mesh. He tried to show the girls that he had a weed in his mouth, that he picked up, and kept dropping and calling them over "I have food ladies..." They just foraged and ignored his advances. He's so adorable. He lets us pet him. I have to admit, he's a bit intimidating since he's so big and so different then the girls that I'm used to. He was so young when we brought him over, he's a totally different bird now. I know once we get used to him, we'll grow attached. I hope he ends up a nice boy. We're planning to add four more girls to our flock next spring.
Soooo beautiful

Back
Top Bottom