We Can Change This!!

In response to the comment about shipping, and the cost of dry ice and ice packs and everything... I know that ordering online does that. But our local feed store, and TSC, have a giant cooler, and they store individual and 25-dose vials in that, and you can pick it up. Yeah, it still costs more than a 500 dose order, but at the same time, you're not wasting all the vaccine.

I'll be writing to them. This is a great idea... one reason everyone I talk to never vaccinates their flocks. Just too much!!

The reason the vaccines are packaged for large amounts of dosages is because it was meant for large commercial operations to be administered by trained persons. If it were sold retail in small dosages the liability would kill the sellers' profit(insurance costs, lawsuits) part of the reason the vaccine for say Mareks' has such a short window of use is because it is designed as a built in safeguard among other reasons.

Quote:
The mareks vaccine comes in 2 vials. 1 is a dry wafer, the other a liquid. You have to combine them right before dosing. Your 2 hour window starts when you mix the two. If they could figure out a way to do it in a syringe it would be great, but I don't think there is anything like that. Great idea though!

Actually, I have seen this... in the hospital. Two meds in one syrnge... I forget how it is activated and shook... I think you pull the plunger which opens the blockers to allow the meds to mix... than all you do is shake well, tap it up... and you are good to go.

With the spread of back yard chickens... and it getting bigger every day... if there is a market, they might just meet the demand.

D

Yes, i have had to have a med like that..
The "dry" portion was in one part of the syringe..the liquid in another.... you clicked the syringe or something like that..and the 2 meds mixed together then you injected...
easy peasy...

I saw somewhere , the chicks are given vaccine , when the eggs are moved to the hatcher. It was fully auto also, like a whole tray at a time.

Yes before they hatch

Quote:
Fort Dodge makes all sorts of vaccines for all sorts of animals, many of which are sold in single dose vials at the feed stores for pet owners to administer. a single shot is between 7 and 10 bucks in my area. the last time I bought a box of 25 shots it was around 70 bucks. Fort Dodge should be capable of producing smaller dose bottles and still keep up profit.. 25 doses would still be a reasonable amount to use at one time. heck paying the same for 25 or 1000 doses wouldnt bother me, but I just cant see buying 1000 doses for 12 chicks... I will check and see who Jeffers sells.

1-800-835-0541 405 State Street P.O. Box 318 Millsboro, DE 19966 www.intervetusa.com
00a9.png
2002 Intervet Inc. Part#30056CFA8/02 Product is a registered trademark of Intervet Inc.

Merial Select, Inc.
1134 Airport Parkway
Gainesville, Georgia 30501
(770) 536-8787

I imagine there are a couple others that make it, but those are the big 3 names that I can think of. you already have fort dodge

Red, that's some great information! Good job! I did follow the link you provided to Intervet, a.k.a. Shering/Plough Animal Health. A wealth of information there too, until you click the contact button!
sad.png
They have a standardized contact form to fill out and submit, so no way to reach a specific person to talk too, and hopefully at some point work with towards getting what we want. But, it's still a step forward in the right direction.

Now, believe it or not, I have a good friend that works for Merial in Gainesville, GA, though admittedly, she works in packing and shipping. Not what you would call an upper echelon employee in the corporation. But still, she may be able to give me some kind of insight into who we should be talking to. And if she doesn't know directly, I betcha dollars to donuts, she knows who would know!
wink.png

Keep up the good work folks. Spread the word! WE CAN DO THIS!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom