We DID It! Sir Annoys Alot is in my Fridge! [pics]

Great job! Looks like you got a nice amount of meat. I love the name. And after hearing the description of said roo, he annoyed the hens too.
gig.gif
lau.gif

Watch out, youll be wanting meaties next.
clap.gif

I don't know if we did the broom method "correctly" or not - but it worked quick and efficient for us. Several people recommended I do it that way, especially at first because it makes it easier for inexperienced butchers. I liked it because he didn't seem to suffer at all - it was just like "snap" and done and then the broom held him still while his wings flapped for a few seconds and that was it.

His head didn't come off when we broke his neck w/ the broom stick, but we cut it off once we had him hung over the black garbage bag. We weren't sure how deep we had to cut to bleed him, so we figured if we just took off the whole head he would definitely bleed out OK.

DH and I both had agonized over this for weeks - we were both nervous about it [we are "tender hearted" animal lovers I have to admit
wink.png
]. But it was SO much easier and so much less traumatic than I expected - I really encourage you guys who are about to do it the first time! It really wasn't bad!

Skand - how cute that your daughter wanted to help! I am hoping my kids will be interested too the next time around. At the very least I think checking out his guts might be interesting to them.

Sweetshoplady, the kids named him, and they picked the *perfect* name for him. He was definitely a stinker - annoying to human and hen alike! LOL!

Kelly

Nice butcher job! We took the wussy way out with our roos, and brought them to a poultry processor. Lightening, our big buff brahma roo is in the oven as we speak!! Mmmmmmm
Sonja

mylilchix, believe me I would have preferred a processor, but nobody in GA will process home grown chickens. I think the laws are really strict or something.

So, we had to either do it ourselves or not do it at all....

smile.png

Kelly

Quote:
I've never seen it used on chickens, but they slaughter rabbits that way. I imagine it works the same.

Congrats on offing your first roo!! Enjoy that meat
big_smile.png

Good job!

I would try the broom method, since I can do it without much effort to twist off their neck or wrack their heads off (neighbors may not like to see butchering done) and I try to put down any near death birds by putting my foot down on their heads and pull up their bodies to displace the neck bones. Works ok but many times I didnt know if they were still alive or dead. I'd rather do the broom method and hear the snap, that would reassure me that they are gone.

The broom method is the way I do it.....I did my first rooster back in the late 70's. Dates me....huh?
barnie.gif
I read about it in some Rodale book that was popular back then, don't even remember the name of the book.

Great job on your first kill.

thumbsup.gif

good job! and thank you for the method...

looks like I get to do out first kill today with a wet pox chicken...mercy killing...

not sure if I should carve her...she hasn't eaten much the last couple days...kinda skinny..

anybody ever heard of issues with meat from a wet pox chicken?????

again, good job!!

Kim

Back
Top Bottom