We did it....we had our pig butchered :(

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by baldie, Jul 25, 2010.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    We butchered one of our pigs...she weighed in at around 300 lbs and we got 247lbs of good meat. My ?? is about how to cook it..I had my neighbor try it first and he cooked 2 chops...one wetter and one drier. Any advice on how to cook it??? I dont think i can eat it...but I would like to try. [​IMG]

2. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    How do you usually cook pork? It should be the same.

3. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Home grown pork is so yummy. Throw some pork chops in the crop pot with a can of cream of mushroom and cook on low for 9-12 hours. Make some mashed taters and use the soup as gravy. Yum. We also cook a ham roast with taters and carrots in the crock pot. I can't eat store bought pork any more.

4. BoerneChickens

BoerneChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I just bought a pasture raised pig this weekend to share with some friends - he goes to the processor Wednesday and I am really looking forward to trying it. I sure hope I like it because my share will be about 70 pounds!

5. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    I'm late, but I'll chime in: please do try to eat that homegrown pork. It will be worth it. :9

I learned to cook pork chops over a bed of rice with a can of chicken broth and some water thrown in. Slather mustard over the tops of the chops, cover, then put in the oven on 350F for as long as it takes. Simple and delicious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by