We got our first egg today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OldMcContri, Nov 8, 2014.

1. OldMcContri

OldMcContri Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    I knew one of my Doms, Ricky, was getting close to laying. I went out to buy two of the ceramic tan eggs to put in their nest boxes to show them where to get some privacy. I got home tonight and put one of the eggs in one of the nest boxes, and then opened the other nest box and already saw an egg in there. For a moment I stood there staring at it wondering how I got the other egg in there already and realized that I was still holding the other fake egg, Rickys egg is identical to the ones I bought. But I got so excited.

Now here is a question, shouldn't she be laying on the egg by instinct or is she still a little confused since this was her first. And this may sound like a stupid question, but what should I do with this first egg?

Oh and you know I had to take a picture of the egg :)
    [​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Congrats on getting your 1st egg!

Not every chicken is a broody...they don't all want to sit on their eggs. As for what to do with your 1st egg? Eat it and enjoy!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

4. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    LOL! My reaction to my very first egg was so similar. I was dumbfounded. And thought to myself, how did this egg get here? :lau
    Congrats on your first egg! I still enjoy finding eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by