WE GOT OUR FIRST EGGS!!! Are they always going to be this size?

I put my egg shells in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour... I pull them out and let them cool then crush them into smaller pieces. I then put them in a mason jar and fill up a feed dish. My chickens come running for the shells!

Your eggs are small because they're just starting out. They get bigger as time goes on. A few of mine just started laying 3 weeks ago and their eggs are large size now, at first they were pretty small about half the size they are now.

You can also feed your chickens scrambled eggs, they'll love them as a treat!

I was using a layer feed, but I have chicks now so I use an all flock feed from purina. I've heard good things about it and people say to just give shells on the side for calcium.

Yes, I was saying that because two looked very similar and the other two looked similar as well. I have no clue if that was right or not, just an observation :)
It was a double yoke by the way! double yoke.jpg

Isn't it the best feeling when you gather those first eggs? You somehow feel you are more connected to the natural world, and doing your bit to keep it going.
You will probably get to the point that you can identify who laid which egg, because, IMO, once the girls get the egg laying thing figured out, they will consistently lay the same size and color every time. Although, I have read that colored egg layers sometimes lose some of the color intensity before they go on break for the winter.

I would definitely recommend putting some golf balls or ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes. They have helped me a ton!
They will get much bigger. Your girls are still young, so they are small.
The large egg may be a double yolker ;)
Also, is there any way you could have missed seeing a couple eggs yesterday? Those look like them may have been laid by 2 girls. I could be wrong about that though :)
You were also right about the eggs being laid by 2 girls! Look, one of ours lays olive colored eggs!!

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom