We got the town to change the laws Watertown CT

Mikedero

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Watertown CT
So last year I made a real rookie mistake by getting chickens before looking at what the town will allow. Before they changed the law I was supposed to have 5 acres before having chickens. at this point I already had my chickens and built my coop. No one reported me but others in town did get forced to get rid of their chickens.
So we banded together and went to 6 town meetings and on 2/15/2013 they changed it to allow you to have up to 20 chickens and it passed with a 100% voting yes. But they forgot to include that no roosters so they left that open. (I have no interest in getting a roo)

But some people where not happy because they made it hard by adding that the coop had to be at least 60 feet from any road, 100 ft from any property boarder. I am cool with it as my property is 350 feet long and 175 feet wide. So I am 100 legal

at least for now as I have 9 chickens now and just ordered 6 more layers from a local agway. But i am also going to do meat birds, but they will only be on the property for 2 months before processing.

I was inspected yesterday and passed with no issues. Victory I am sure that with all the help and info I provided that i got from this website helped a ton. So do your research on the site and get all your chickens (i had to) in a row before you approach the town

I am so happy for you. I am in oxford and since I am moving soon I am waiting. It still amazes me that some towns in our state will have emergency meetings over a persons ability to have a few hens but not on real issues like safety and taxes

Mikedero: I'm in Watertown, as well, and have a question for you. I called Zoning & Planning yesterday, and they told me that I need to have 5 acres unless I am in the fire district. (I am JUST outside of that zone). They did tell me the 20 chicken rule, but they said where I am there is NO chickens allowed under 5 acres. Is this true?

Last edited:
Mikedero: I'm in Watertown, as well, and have a question for you. I called Zoning & Planning yesterday, and they told me that I need to have 5 acres unless I am in the fire district. (I am JUST outside of that zone). They did tell me the 20 chicken rule, but they said where I am there is NO chickens allowed under 5 acres. Is this true?[/quote

What's the verdict? I'm moving to Ft Drum this Spring.

Back
Top Bottom