We gotta talk! :-o

GrannyHeeney

Songster
Apr 18, 2018
Upstate SC
Okay, it's 20 degrees outside, and I never expected any of these eggs to hatch, but I let Mollie keep her 3 little green eggs. Yesterday was day 21; went to let everyone out/feed just now and opened the flip lid on the back of the coop, lifted her up just to get a quick look (and ticked her off BIG time), and one of the eggs is peeping!!! :th I figured last month if a miracle happened and anything came of this, BYC would coach me through this. My bestie's coming over in an hour after she drops her hubby off at work--she has more experience with chickens than me--so first, I've gotta get the coffee on! :D

She has a brooding box that she says we can set up when she gets home. I have no idea what that involves. :-o I don't want to text her more, she's driving. :oops: This is a labor of love, my darling Gus Gus and Crazy Mollie are parents, we'll figure it all out! The cold is scary, but by goodness, she's kept them warm thus far...something's alive in there! :D

Tell me anything, give me any advice you like, my head is swimming and I'm so excited I could barf. ROFL I'm a Granny again! :celebrate

Mollie
mollie.jpg

Gus!
2.jpg

I want to but the cold has me freaked. Also, the other birds worry me--2 BRs who can be ugly to everything with feathers, and a Brahma who is a cow LOL Their water is frozen right now **pacing and worried**

I want to but the cold has me freaked. Also, the other birds worry me--2 BRs who can be ugly to everything with feathers, and a Brahma who is a cow LOL Their water is frozen right now **pacing and worried**

Mama can keep the chick(s) warm, especially in SC. Just make sure they have food and unfrozen water. Broody mamas can be other chickens' worst nightmare.

How about if I scoot her and the kids into their own place out there? If my bestie and I can set up some sort of apartment for her really quick today, would those eggs react badly to a move? Dang this weather!

I generally move my broodies to a safe area as soon as they start to sit. I'd be inclined to let her hatch where she is, then move them to a safe place afterward when things settle. I wouldn't want to upset the apple cart mid hatch and have her upset and leave the eggs. Not knowing her history, that would be worry for me. Since she's kept them warm enough thus far, I don't think the temps will matter, she should continue to do so.

Back
Top Bottom