We gotta talk! :-o

I was a nervous wreck the first time I let a broody hatch. Seriously my blood pressure must have been off the charts and I probably appeared deranged. But in the end, I let her do her thing, she did admirably, and I learned not to worry so much. The vast majority of the time, they actually do know what to do, and they do it well. Hell hath no fury like a broody mama, she will protect them. I move my broodies to a parallel 'nursery' run that I put in just for this, but I move them as I said, when they start to sit. I have multiple roosters, so I don't take the chance that she would be outnumbered in trying to protect them. Can you put up a temporary fence to separate her until hatch is done and everyone is dried out and moving about?

I was a nervous wreck the first time I let a broody hatch. Seriously my blood pressure must have been off the charts and I probably appeared deranged. But in the end, I let her do her thing, she did admirably, and I learned not to worry so much. The vast majority of the time, they actually do know what to do, and they do it well. Hell hath no fury like a broody mama, she will protect them. I move my broodies to a parallel 'nursery' run that I put in just for this, but I move them as I said, when they start to sit. I have multiple roosters, so I don't take the chance that she would be outnumbered in trying to protect them. Can you put up a temporary fence to separate her until hatch is done and everyone is dried out and moving about?
I have a 10' x 10' chain link dog pen (basically) with a store-bought coop sitting right in the middle--she's inside the wee coop (pictured below). I manually put everyone into the little coop at night (I lost half my flock to predators last year, so I'm all about securing them). I can just shut the front door to keep them out and maybe figure something else to do with the other 4 for a while. Maybe I could move Mollie's group into the bottom half once everyone's hatched?
coop.jpg

I've avoided posting a pic of my set-up because it's pretty ugly. Everyone else has such pretty homes for their chickies! :oops: But here it is, when all I had were Scrambled and Dumpling. (I took this right before I put new straw in)
coop.jpg

WE GOT A CHICK! W00t! It's the size of a quarter! :love I peeked under Mollie at 11 and there was a small poke hole--I could see a teeny beak end with an egg tooth...3 hours later, my friend and I went back in and there was a chick! That little feller was in a hurry! I picked him up for just a sec and he snuggled my hand. :love Mollie is less grumpy toward us. :) As for the 2 eggs...1 seems to smell... :-o The one that doesn't seem to smell feels lighter. My friend says the lighter may have a chick (fluid is heavier?), so we're leaving them all alone for now. Maybe we'll get 2....

I was going to take a pic but somewhere between here and the 20' to my friend's house, I lost my blasted phone! Are you kidding me!!!!

Yay!! Congrats!
Be sure to give both mom and chicks the chick feed—layer feed can damage chicks over the long run.
Yah, as soon as my daughter's home from work, I can mug her for some medicated chick starter. :D I did want to check with y'all, though--what is the period of time to not panic (LOL) before he starts eating? :p

Yah, as soon as my daughter's home from work, I can mug her for some medicated chick starter. :D I did want to check with y'all, though--what is the period of time to not panic (LOL) before he starts eating? :p
I dunno if adults can eat medicated...I’m guessing not. I’d go with non medicated.

How about if I scoot her and the kids into their own place out there? If my bestie and I can set up some sort of apartment for her really quick today, would those eggs react badly to a move? Dang this weather!
I'd wait for them all to hatch before attempting a move, but I bet they will be fine where they are... A mamma chicken is a force to reckon with! She's brought them this far, so she is obviously dedicated.

Back
Top Bottom