We hatched a 3 legged Maran! New pic!

Fourgirlsoneboy

Pullus Parvus
10 Years
Aug 16, 2009
West Virginia
39214_img01893-20110303-1436.jpg

This isn't the best pic (I will take more in a few days if it lives), but we hatched a 3 legged Maran today! Two of the legs are fused and the other is normal. It is also blind on the fused leg side. That being said, it seems to be getting all around the brooder and drinking and eating. I've never had a chick hatched with that or the blindness. Do you know what causes this? I am thinking it might have been a double yolker that didn't form right, because I can't tell anything when I candle the Maran eggs untill there is a pretty big embryo (then it is dark- does this make sense?). Ive never had a problem with any of my chicks (except crooked toes one time, and we've hatched over 1000 chicks!), so assuming this little guy survives and can get around, is only being able to see in one eye going to be an issue? Anyone else have an adult chicken with eyesight in only one eye?

Let's just say that was a pretty big suprise today!! (And of course, the kids named it Tripod)

Last edited:
Well check that out! I've had plenty of sight-impaired chickens that do well. They just need a bit more tlc such as help with feeding or drinking and no bullies to beat them up.

How absolutely cool is that. What a little cutie. I think as long as the little fluffy butt is getting around fine, eating, and drinking things should be good. My friend has a gimpy rooster that has a bum leg, and he does great with his girls.
big_smile.png

I don't want to sound negative, but the fused/double leg is probably a bigger problem than the blindness if you're planning to integrate this little fuzzy into a larger flock! I'm sure you know chickens can be pretty ruthless if they sense something not quite right with a newcomer, and physical deformity is a big trigger for aggression. It's nature's way of ensuring that debilitating genetic imperfections don't get carried forward.

as far as i can tell neither of my silkies can see worth a da*% but they do pretty well.
that third leg sure is mysterious and provocative. i'm more than curious to see how this special little chicken-being grows . . .
please keep us updated.

Amazing chick! I found your photo through my google feed. If this chick does not survive, please do not dispose of it. I would be interested in purchasing it. I collect animal specimens with severe teratological deformities, currently with 17 animals in the collection. I can be reached at [email protected]

I hope the chick survives though! Almost all of the specimens I have were stillborn, so a unique creature like this one that has a chance at full life is really special!

Quote:
very true... that's the first thing i thought when i saw is... it is pretty cool, but i wouldn't add him to any flock... unless he was the top roo... but, i wouldn't want that either because it might produce more double leggers or even more deformed chicks... you never know...

cute though...

Quote:
:LOLWOW:

now that's one interesting hobby...

Back
Top Bottom