1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WE have a problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GoldenSparrow, Jun 22, 2011.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    [​IMG]
    I am so mad;[​IMG] I thought my 4 chickens were eating a lot of food latly, but No the chipmunks are eating all the chicken food I leave out for the chickens!!!!

We have a TON Of them. What should I do? There like squirrels, they can get the food no mater where I put it. [​IMG]

Even If I put it in the coop, they go thought the chicken door, and eat it.

I really could use so help on these little food snatchers [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks

2. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Try hanging the feeder about 6 - 8 inches off the ground?

What kind of fencing do you have? They can get through really small spaces, so hardware cloth if you don't already have it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  3. flash5153

flash5153 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    In .22 seconds I think I can come up with 4-10 possible ways to solve your problem. Starting now,,,,,20 gauge,12 gauge,smith and wesson,ruger,remington, bb gun,slingshot,,,,,,,,,, maybe wire the coop tighter(tough to do),,,,,,,,,use a live trap,,,,,,,,,,,,or just buy extra food and put a blanket and fresh fruit out for them too,,,they like nuts!!! lol

LOL. I know this didn't help much,,just having a little fun with my coffee. Them little buggers are going to be tough to scare off. If you don't want to shoot them ,,,it really is going to be a problem.

4. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Quote:LOL I can see ME trying to shoot a chipmunk! "hey would you just sit still for one second? blam, wait come back I need to try again!" They are just so fast and twitchy, and, well, my aim isn't the greatest! I think I would do better (me not the rest of you!) with a club.

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:LOL I can see ME trying to shoot a chipmunk! "hey would you just sit still for one second? blam, wait come back I need to try again!" They are just so fast and twitchy, and, well, my aim isn't the greatest! I think I would do better (me not the rest of you!) with a club.

[​IMG]

6. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Try mixing a lot of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper with the feed. The chickens don't taste it (some folks say it makes them lay more!) but it should deter mammals.

7. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    one word.......CAT

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:X2

9. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    The 'ol "Sunflower seed/water Bucket of death" works great for me. I got 44 of those "little rats wearin' fancy clothes" jackals in 2 days.

10. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:Exactly how does that work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by