We have a Winner!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krista74, Dec 27, 2014.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Hi everyone [​IMG]

For several weeks now there has been a bit of a competition going on between my two best layers, both of which are 1 year old Rhode Island Reds.

It seems that they are trying to out-do each other in the egg-laying department, and each one has been consistently putting up 76 gram eggs, which I had considered to be pretty big.

Well, today we have a Winner.....

[​IMG]

Not quite as big as the record of 118 grams here (laid by yet another RIR hen, may she rest in peace) but still pretty good!

I did a bit of a check of everyone's rear ends just in case someone had a blow-out after this monstrosity, but everyone appears to be intact!

I am a very proud Chicken Momma today!

- Krista

2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    You weigh every egg that is laid? Do you keep written records of them all? May I ask the reason?

3. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Yes, I weigh every egg they lay. I do it purely for my own interest to see how they are going as they age. I only wish I had kept a written record of them, it would be very interesting to look back on now!

I remember when I first got my hens back in March (at POL) I was told that egg size increases from when they first start laying, and I think that was the impetus that first got me weighing them to start with.

They certainly have gotten bigger as time has passed. I remember the average size of my RIR eggs was once 60 grams, and now the absolute minimum size I get from them is about 66 grams. The average is weighing in at around 75 grams.

The BO's, however, have not fared so well. Their average has only been about 53 grams.

- Krista

ETA: I should mention that I only have 8 hens, so weighing each egg is not that much of a chore!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    That is definitely interesting. With 8 hens its manageable. I have 40 hens so that would be a lot.

5. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Yes, that would be quite an undertaking!

- Krista

6. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Have you compared a duck egg? I get some monsters...May have to invest in a scale.:D

7. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    No I haven't. No ducks here I'm afraid.

I think you should get some scales! It's really interesting to follow their egg weights.

Or I am just easily amused, lol.

- Krista

8. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    I will look into a scale and keep you posted on the duck eggs. I am more than happy to sell them if you want any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by