We have an attack meat chicken!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SIMZ, Sep 15, 2012.

1. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    One of our 4 week old Cornish X (meatie, broiler, meat chicken, whatever) attacked me tonight! This little guy actually came at me when I was trying corral the chickens into their shelter. He even left a welt on my hand where he bit me. We've raised quite a few of these and I've never had one be mean like that. He must be the same one that was trying to get me the other day when I was moving them somewhere and I thought it was kind of cute. Not anymore - that hurt! [​IMG]

2. serama hen

serama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    maybe hes trying to defend something or took top of the peking order is he the only roo is he bigger tha

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Teach the little booger a lesson and eat him. That'll learn him to not bite the hand that feeds him.

4. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    [​IMG]

5. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I don't think I've ever had a "normal" breed chicken attack me like that at 4 weeks. Thankfully, he'll soon be too big to move fast enough to do any harm.

6. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I had an entire batch of RIR cockerels start to go vicious at the tender age of three weeks. Don't think I've ever heard of a vicious broiler though. Their little kidney beans never really develop enough to start pumping testosterone.

I would take the scientific approach and dissect him ASAP to determine the cause of his little attitude problem. [​IMG]

7. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Vicious RIR cockerels = PROBLEM, right? They never get too big to move fast and it's not worth processing them at 6 weeks. [​IMG]

We'll be processing the first of the batch next Friday. Guess who is going to be in that bunch??

8. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Haha, I was willing to tolerate their nasty little behaviors until they started pecking my pullets bloody. After that they went away as quickly as I could find someone to take them.

Hope he's tasty. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by