We have an attack meat chicken!

SIMZ

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Northwest Indiana
One of our 4 week old Cornish X (meatie, broiler, meat chicken, whatever) attacked me tonight! This little guy actually came at me when I was trying corral the chickens into their shelter. He even left a welt on my hand where he bit me. We've raised quite a few of these and I've never had one be mean like that. He must be the same one that was trying to get me the other day when I was moving them somewhere and I thought it was kind of cute. Not anymore - that hurt!
hu.gif

I don't think I've ever had a "normal" breed chicken attack me like that at 4 weeks. Thankfully, he'll soon be too big to move fast enough to do any harm.

I don't think I've ever had a "normal" breed chicken attack me like that at 4 weeks. Thankfully, he'll soon be too big to move fast enough to do any harm.
I had an entire batch of RIR cockerels start to go vicious at the tender age of three weeks. Don't think I've ever heard of a vicious broiler though. Their little kidney beans never really develop enough to start pumping testosterone.

I would take the scientific approach and dissect him ASAP to determine the cause of his little attitude problem.
wink.png

Vicious RIR cockerels = PROBLEM, right? They never get too big to move fast and it's not worth processing them at 6 weeks.
wink.png

We'll be processing the first of the batch next Friday. Guess who is going to be in that bunch??

Vicious RIR cockerels = PROBLEM, right? They never get too big to move fast and it's not worth processing them at 6 weeks.
wink.png

We'll be processing the first of the batch next Friday. Guess who is going to be in that bunch??

Haha, I was willing to tolerate their nasty little behaviors until they started pecking my pullets bloody. After that they went away as quickly as I could find someone to take them.

Hope he's tasty. :D

Back
Top Bottom