We have babies!

Pics
In North America, goshawks occur in Canada, the northern United States (including much of Alaska), the mountainous western United States, and northwestern Mexico. The largest of the three North American Accipiters, Northern Goshawks are powerful raptors about the size of Red-tailed Hawks.
Northern Goshawk
Northern Goshawks are one of the trickier species to find in Indiana, as they typically stay in Indiana's heavy forests. You will have to do some exploring to see one of them! Goshawks are shorter and bulky, typically with a matte gray head.

It may have been a Coopers but they know their size limits and are more timid than their larger cousin the goshawk, Same silhouette in the air and a young male gos would be about the same size as a full grown female Coopers. Goshawks are way more daring and will chase birds on the ground. I've lost at least one, maybe two guineas to Goshawks this year.https://www.lastwordonnothing.com/2015/03/19/g-is-for-goddamned-goshawk/
Oh is that your blog? Nice post, if so! I have zero experience with goshawks, which sound like a pretty wicked guinea predator. We are in Central Oklahoma, which has a decent number of Coopers but is at the southern edge of goshawk range. Whatever I saw yesterday, which was freaking out the birds but I did not witness attack, was fast, low flying, and had a long and distinctly banded tail.

I’m going to check with a birder friend about whether we would have goshawks here right now. We get a lot of hawks migrating through Oklahoma in the fall, but it’s a little early right now. I do agree that guineas are on the larger side for Coopers, but that could be why the hawk only grabbed some feathers… (if it even was a hawk Sunday, since I didn’t actually see it!).

About two years ago, I was outside with some foraging hens. One hen was by herself grazing on our lawn. A hawk suddenly appeared, swooped at the hen, buzzed by her, then aborted mission and flew off as fast as it had appeared. Hen and I were both shocked by this complete, fast, sneak attack, and I wondered why it had pulled up instead of taking her. After some reading and discussion, I started to wonder if the hawk had been a young Coopers that had not yet mastered judging what prey would be safest to take, so was surprised by her size. I’m guessing that a young hawk that grabbed for Kingpin in the middle of his flock might have similarly had second thoughts in mid-attempt… Lots of conjecture here!

Edited to add: I’m very sorry about the loss of your birds to hawks!!!

Last edited:
My response to her article: I blame them! I do! Every blasted carnivore that has left a stain on this season and a coop that echoes with the missing. I don't care how regal, pretty, endangered, majestic or hungry they are. I blame them!🤪
(Dont mind me-I have ppl wanting keets and I'm struggling with it. I won't cry, I won't...I might.-Quiet, R2. Lol.)
I’m with you! My poultry keeping has put me at serious odds with my nature loving…. If I had the time and money, I’d fence in our whole property and then get a livestock guardian dog. And some goats… :gig After that I’d need a new husband, as I’m pretty sure that would be the end of the line for him! I’m trying to teach hubby how to herd guineas so adults leave the coop but babies and mom stay in while I’m gone for this funeral. I really don’t want to go as I’m having a hard enough time with this task myself!

My response to her article: I blame them! I do! Every blasted carnivore that has left a stain on this season and a coop that echoes with the missing. I don't care how regal, pretty, endangered, majestic or hungry they are. I blame them!🤪
(Dont mind me-I have ppl wanting keets and I'm struggling with it. I won't cry, I won't...I might.-Quiet, R2. Lol.)
I am proactive about removing predators inside my compound. Outside of my little oasis, I leave them alone. Without predators the vermin would take over.

I’m with you! My poultry keeping has put me at serious odds with my nature loving…. If I had the time and money, I’d fence in our whole property and then get a livestock guardian dog. And some goats… :gig After that I’d need a new husband, as I’m pretty sure that would be the end of the line for him! I’m trying to teach hubby how to herd guineas so adults leave the coop but babies and mom stay in while I’m gone for this funeral. I really don’t want to go as I’m having a hard enough time with this task myself!
Lol..someone asked if I'd trade for quail.,sure..if you can convince the hubby. I just got a lecture on property size.🤷‍♀️ HIS idea. Lol.
I'm pretty sure that predator article I posted said hawks usually eat on the ground, but will at times attempt to fly off with their prey, and often drop it. The way you described the feathers missing, that was 1st thing I thought of. This is the one we had. 2017-09-01 13.46.55.jpg

Lol..someone asked if I'd trade for quail.,sure..if you can convince the hubby. I just got a lecture on property size.🤷‍♀️ HIS idea. Lol.
I'm pretty sure that predator article I posted said hawks usually eat on the ground, but will at times attempt to fly off with their prey, and often drop it. The way you described the feathers missing, that was 1st thing I thought of. This is the one we had.View attachment 2849521
I have seen hawks eating on the ground or in trees. If the carcass is big they eat where it is. As it becomes lighter, they will move it farther from the site and when light enough will fly off with the carcass.

I have no issues with the hawks here because there are plenty of the Collared Doves for them to help themselves to. Whenever I see one with a Collared Dove, I praise it and tell it what a good bird it is.

I have seen hawks eating on the ground or in trees. If the carcass is big they eat where it is. As it becomes lighter, they will move it farther from the site and when light enough will fly off with the carcass.

I have no issues with the hawks here because there are plenty of the Collared Doves for them to help themselves to. Whenever I see one with a Collared Dove, I praise it and tell it what a good bird it is.
Field mice 😉

Back
Top Bottom