We have chicks! Yay!

Wendy Bee

Songster
May 5, 2021
Central New York
Greetings from Central New York State!

I'm the wife of a good man, mom to seven children (4 grown, 3 not yet, but growing fast), caretaker to 10 chicks, 5 cats, 1 dog, and many fish.

We've been on this property - a 200+ year old house on a good chunk of acreage which we're gradually pulling into the 21st century - for about 4 years and finally pulled the trigger on getting chickens. We have 3 neighbors who have and LOVE their chickens, and we're glad to join them as we start our chicken journey. We are also slowly restoring a recently discovered orchard on our property (overrun by Buckthorn), and spend much of our early Springs tapping our many Maple trees and making yummy Maple Syrup. But chickens are NEW to us!

We're in the process of completing our coop/run. It's in the Carolina/American coop style, with a 6'x8' raised coop and an 8'x26' run, including the under-coop area. We'll be enclosing it with black, vinyl-coated hardware cloth with a predator apron. I'll post pics when it's complete, which better be soon, because the chicks are growing fast, lol! We recently enlarged their brooder, from one, to two large dog crates attached end-to-end with a side access door, complete with perches and logs to keep them occupied. The children and I are socializing them and having fun watching their individual personalities develop.

1620254729064.png

Our chicks, purchased at Tractor Supply in mid-April:
  • 3 Isa Brown Females
  • 2 Buff Orpington Females
  • 3 Ameracauna Straight Run (thinking we have one Rooster in the trio, time will tell, but we've already named him Charlie, so . . . )
  • 2 Black Australorp Straight Run (hoping they're both Females)
We're thinking that over the next 3-4 years we'll increase our flock to about 20-24 total chickens, including a rooster or two. Just for eggs, not for eatin' 🥰!

I've been reading here off and on for the last few months and decided I should go ahead and register. Looking forward to the wit, wisdom, and many tips and advice contained herein.

🐥🐥🐥

Back
Top Bottom