We have chicks!!!!!!!

lissalischicks

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 31, 2016
Los Angeles, California
My girl hatch her first clutch of eggs!!!! They hatch a little early (didn't make 21 days) Put the fertile eggs under her May 3 at 7pm and then today I'm at work and started watching the hen cam and saw a small head!!!!!
So far 4 little ones. One was half hatched and she squashed it ... it didn't survive :hit

Here are the 4
4 chicks.jpg

One more egg to go. About 5-6 hours ago I saw the egg cracked and about an hour ago saw this
egg crack.jpg

I can see the little chick inside moving so I'm crossing my fingers. I am not sure how long this whole process can take but now i'm over paranoid after the squashed egg.

I have to saw I have been blessed that my girl has been very tolerate and has never lashed out at me when I check on her. I gave her some food and she ate out of my hand so I was happy as this was her third day straight on the nest!!!

The fifth egg hatch. I ran out there this morning before going to work and checked. I was extremely relieved. I had checked on her late last night because I was so concerned .... and I'm glad I did because a cat was scouring out the coop. I'm going to go home today and put out some repellant.

Mom is doing a great job. She hasn't gotten up to drink or pop in 4/5 days so a little concerned .... but she did eat when we gave her some food!

I am not sure what any of the breeds are but the chipmunky looking one is really cute. They were eggs from what the lady called mutts. They are all so adorable! :fl Fingers crossed they are girls.

I took the picture when I took them out of the nesting box out. It was a forced outing. She has been in the nesting box for 5 days. She would eat out of my hand a bit but not drink water. I also knew she had to be backed up. She's such a sweet mom.... that was until she let out the broody poop bomb. :barnieI have no words to describe the smell. Literally it was like the sewage gutter had exploded. I was finally getting used to it when another wave of smell hit me... she had pooped again! They were mini mountains!!

Luckily she ate and drank, stared down some of the other hens (that were on the other side of the fence) and then basically looked at me and said... put me back in the box.

Back
Top Bottom