We know broody hens. How about a nanny hen?

Pics
Aww, I am so sorry, I got kind of attached to her and her story. I also lost a pullet about her age. I felt awful! She was named Daffodil, aka Daffy, She passed in the night after showing no sign of injury or pain, or even sickness. She couldn't even have gotten cold, It was 80 degrees outside. I also know it wasn't a predator, because all was untouched. :hugs :hit:idunno

:hugs Hard Stuff.
ETA, will you have her necropsied?
I just finished cutting Jules open. Just looked like a pristine 13 week-old chick inside. No sign of what was behind her not recovering.

I cut into the leg muscle, but even that appeared normal to my untrained eye.

I had a rooster years ago with this same issue. He injured his leg and despite all the care I could give him, he only got worse.

There must be something about some leg injuries that cause a chicken to simply give up.

Aww, I am so sorry, I got kind of attached to her and her story. I also lost a pullet about her age. I felt awful! She was named Daffodil, aka Daffy, She passed in the night after showing no sign of injury or pain, or even sickness. She couldn't even have gotten cold, It was 80 degrees outside. I also know it wasn't a predator, because all was untouched. :hugs :hit:idunno
Raising chickens is a mystery most of the time for me. Not all of us can afford a necropsy to find out what happens to each bird. I, personally, would only have one if I lost more than one bird in succession, and didn't know why. Any number of things can happen to a single bird. I feel lucky that I haven't dealt with a lot of this, and I feel for everyone who has. :hugs Hugs all around.

I just finished cutting Jules open. Just looked like a pristine 13 week-old chick inside. No sign of what was behind her not recovering.

I cut into the leg muscle, but even that appeared normal to my untrained eye.

I had a rooster years ago with this same issue. He injured his leg and despite all the care I could give him, he only got worse.

There must be something about some leg injuries that cause a chicken to simply give up.
You might be on to something there. In the wild, they wouldn't have a chance of survival, so it might just be instinctual. So sad. 😢

Raising chickens is a mystery most of the time for me. Not all of us can afford a necropsy to find out what happens to each bird. I, personally, would only have one if I lost more than one bird in succession, and didn't know why. Any number of things can happen to a single bird. I feel lucky that I haven't dealt with a lot of this, and I feel for everyone who has. :hugs Hugs all around.
I didn't have a necropsy because it would have just made losing her harder. If I found out it had been something preventable, I would have torn my self to pieces with guilt and sadness. She was my very first chicken.

Back
Top Bottom