We lost a barred rock - splay leg

CMC, thank you so much for this advice. We mixed the raw egg and electrolyte and water, and fed her on the side of her beak. She immediately started taking it in, and we ended up giving her .7 mL and we're letting her rest now. We'll give her more in a bit. The heat is now 91 under the plate. Is that too cool? We've noticed that since we turned off the heat lamp that they all gather under the panel. then they will go out to the cool spot to eat and drink. Thanks again!
Yay! Your temps sound perfect now and I'm so happy to hear she's getting nutrition!

Sorry guys - been insanely busy today.

CMC, thank you so much for this advice. We mixed the raw egg and electrolyte and water, and fed her on the side of her beak. She immediately started taking it in, and we ended up giving her .7 mL and we're letting her rest now. We'll give her more in a bit. The heat is now 91 under the plate. Is that too cool? We've noticed that since we turned off the heat lamp that they all gather under the panel. then they will go out to the cool spot to eat and drink. Thanks again!
Yes that’s fine.

So amazing to hear that she started taking to the mixture! Egg yolk has a lot of nutrition so this should hold her over until she’s ready to eat chick crumble! The temps sound perfect. It’s normal for them to spend more time under the heat panel when they’re younger and as they get older they’ll spend less and less time under it.

How often would you feed the egg yoke/electrolyte mix?
I attempted to give it to her every hour or so during the day and just once at night. Sometimes she’d eat more, sometimes less. I had to do this for 2 days before she started eating chick crumble on her own (it was mainly because her splay leg was really bad and she didn’t learn to walk for that amount of time).

Such good advice here!

For future reference, I just use a heat plate and no lamp. I don't even check temps, tbh. I've not had any problems (so far).

Keep in mind, the little splay leg chick might have had trouble since it couldn't get food or water or get out of the heat. But if it had a deformity, it might also have had other internal problems, too. And some chicks just don't make it for myriad unknown reasons.

Sounds like the rest of them are off to a good start, though! Glad the little lethargic one is responding! Nutridrench, electrolytes, and egg yolk have helped save many a baby chick.

Back
Top Bottom