We lost a barred rock - splay leg

Pics

RedHillChicken

Songster
Dec 3, 2022
Well, we lost our first new chick last night, a barred rock. She had splay leg, and slept under the heat panel Saturday night. Yesterday, we noticed she couldn't walk and one leg just didn't work. We tried to give her some nutri-drench just to make sure she was hydrated. We watched many videos about splay leg, and decided to put her in a support jar. We cut holes in some felt, and made a support blanket where her legs hung down into the jar touching some paper towels. We kept dipping her beak into the nutri-drench about every hour until we went to bed. I got up at about 12:00 and she had passed. Now, we have one of our Wyandottes who is very listless and is not eating or drinking. I'm constantly doing a poop check, but haven't seen any bloody poop. We'll try and get her to drink today, and hope we can revive her. Not sure what it could be, since the other 16 babys are fine, eating and drinking and running around. Some of the Golden Comets are even perching. Does anyone have any advice as to what could be happening? The two I mentioned both had a small bit of pasty butt Saturday, which we cleaned off and applied vasoline around her vent. Thanks for all your valuable knowledge!

We've adjusted the heat lamp up so that it's about 96 directly under the lamp. Every article we read says have the temp at 105-95 degrees. They seem to like the warmth under the lamp, because after they gorge on food and water, they go overt under the lamp and just pancake out asleep.
Whoever told you 105 is completely wrong. That is WAY too hot and too much heat can actually cause pasty butt as well. They also do not need both. One is plenty. And I’ve raised chicks outside with just a heat plate and they’ve been perfectly fine. Even when it’s somewhat chilly out. I’ve never used a heat lamp and all my chicks have been completely happy any healthy. Not that heat lamps are necessarily bad but you need to choose one or the other. Both is not necessary nor is it good for them.

I would definitely get rid of the heat lamp and just keep the heat panel. Anything above 95 is too hot.
As for the weak chick, you can also try mixing the electrolyte (or nutri drench) mixture with some egg yolk. I had a chick with splay leg who lived on the egg yolk/electrolyte mixture for 2 days before eventually eating normal chick crumble (she’s now a healthy gorgeous laying salmon faverolles hen). I fed her with a little syringe (no needle). I carefully dripped the mixture on the side of her beak and she drank it on her own so she wouldn’t aspirate. I gave her about .3ml every hour or so.

No just raw egg yolk! I mixed a very tiny pinch (barley anything for just one chick) of electrolyte powder with the egg yolk and thinned it out with a tiny bit of water to make it easier to drip onto the side of her beak.
CMC, thank you so much for this advice. We mixed the raw egg and electrolyte and water, and fed her on the side of her beak. She immediately started taking it in, and we ended up giving her .7 mL and we're letting her rest now. We'll give her more in a bit. The heat is now 91 under the plate. Is that too cool? We've noticed that since we turned off the heat lamp that they all gather under the panel. then they will go out to the cool spot to eat and drink. Thanks again!

Whoever told you 105 is completely wrong. That is WAY too hot and too much heat can actually cause pasty butt as well. They also do not need both. One is plenty. And I’ve raised chicks outside with just a heat plate and they’ve been perfectly fine. Even when it’s somewhat chilly out. I’ve never used a heat lamp and all my chicks have been completely happy any healthy. Not that heat lamps are necessarily bad but you need to choose one or the other. Both is not necessary nor is it good for them.
Agreed!

Back
Top Bottom