We lost a barred rock - splay leg

Pics

RedHillChicken

Songster
Dec 3, 2022
Central Alabama
Well, we lost our first new chick last night, a barred rock. She had splay leg, and slept under the heat panel Saturday night. Yesterday, we noticed she couldn't walk and one leg just didn't work. We tried to give her some nutri-drench just to make sure she was hydrated. We watched many videos about splay leg, and decided to put her in a support jar. We cut holes in some felt, and made a support blanket where her legs hung down into the jar touching some paper towels. We kept dipping her beak into the nutri-drench about every hour until we went to bed. I got up at about 12:00 and she had passed. Now, we have one of our Wyandottes who is very listless and is not eating or drinking. I'm constantly doing a poop check, but haven't seen any bloody poop. We'll try and get her to drink today, and hope we can revive her. Not sure what it could be, since the other 16 babys are fine, eating and drinking and running around. Some of the Golden Comets are even perching. Does anyone have any advice as to what could be happening? The two I mentioned both had a small bit of pasty butt Saturday, which we cleaned off and applied vasoline around her vent. Thanks for all your valuable knowledge!

You mentioned heat panel...
Can you post a picture of your brooder?
Do you know what temperature it is?
The temps have varied from 102 to 96.
IMG_3592.JPG

Back
Top Bottom